Tyger reappraisal

Tropylium
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Tropylium »

That's a good point too. It's a pity they never really explored this style further. Even finding other EM artists in this vein is much more difficult than it should be. :(
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I wasn't overly happy withh Tyger when it first came out. I thought at the time that the lyrics detracted from the music. Nowadays I'm more relaxed and tolerant about the whole thing and on reflexion it's an album I really enjoy. Some parts are better than others but today I actually quite like track Tyger.

Anyone else find themselves trying to put back the vocals to Tyger whilst listening to Rockface? :wink:

Just me then? :wink:
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I found Tyger a mixed bag when I first heard it, but it's certainly a very strong album for me now.

Unlike many, Smile is one of my all time favourite tracks. I realise it's a simple composition, but then so is LOART. In fact, I think it has a lot of Reichian qualities.

Neither do I mind the vocals. I agree with you Chris that I miss the vocals when they're not there in the alternative versions. I do wonder how the album would have worked with an alternative singer though - not sure that Jocelyn's voice is the most suitable for EM generally, IMHO.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Knowing nothing about the vocal content of Tyger, I remember rushing back home after buying it on vinyl in Chester, sticking it straight on the turntable, and recoiling in abject horror. Instead of hearing what i'd might be some of the unreleased music from the 86 dates, I heard songs....someone's voice....weak drums....what's going on? :shock: ....I checked the sleeve and label to make sure it was TD :? . Now I know how some fans felt in 1978! What are they doing??? I decided that this would go right at the back of my collection and collect dust! :x

Fast forward several years, and of course my appreciation of it grew. Hell, I can even tolerate the vocals, and even quite like some sections. The music is, in parts, quite wonderful, with Alchemy Of The Heart now one of my favourite pieces of the decade. In my experience, I think we'll certainly call Tyger a grower.
24db

Post by 24db »

Stand out moment for me is Edgar's guitar on Tyger...utter brilliance my man! ;)
har

Post by har »

Tell you..............that chorus section in the title track must have some hook in it :!:

Not been able to get it out my mind all week :?

" Tyger, Tyger, burning bright, in the forests of the night "
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I am led to believe that that the biggest part of this album was composed by EF & PH with a small time contribution from CF..............
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

epsilon75 wrote:I am led to believe that that the biggest part of this album was composed by EF & PH with a small time contribution from CF..............
I am led to believe that it was that ratio on most albums :wink:
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

GlynRichards wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:I am led to believe that that the biggest part of this album was composed by EF & PH with a small time contribution from CF..............
I am led to believe that it was that ratio on most albums :wink:
:wink: :mrgreen:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

I've always liked Tyger, no reappraisal needed here. :) Plus it made me discover books by and about William Blake, a fellow Sagittarius born on the same day as me. Wish I had his visions and talent though... ;)
xsaram3

Post by xsaram3 »

har wrote:Tell you..............that chorus section in the title track must have some hook in it :!:

Not been able to get it out my mind all week :?

" Tyger, Tyger, burning bright, in the forests of the night "
Only had first listening to Tyger this week! (Shame on Me)

Have to agree there is some serious hook in " Tyger" have to keep
replaying it :shock:

Have to say I realy like the vocals as a whole

Only question, does Jocelyn Bernadette Smith sing the lead on "Tyger" she sounds so different to "London" and "Smile"
" Eat Sh1t, a million flies can't be wrong"
Erik

Post by Erik »

i guess Edgar didn't think Cyclone was a TOTAL mistake. he probably thought back to Steve wanting to use his lyrics for it back in '78, and thought "hm...give it another shot?"

and they weren't rushed with the release of this album, at least not that i know of. the tour in 1978 was really putting them in the hawt seat, and they might have been full of frustration over this deadline. with Tyger, they might have been much more chill about the idea.

great album i say. Vigour is even worth mentioning
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Jon

Post by Jon »

Tyger is one of my favorite albums. How I wish the Froese/Franke/Haslinger lineup would have lasted longer.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I've always liked Tyger ... :D
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

24db wrote:Apart from the pronoucation of Thames I haven't got a problem with Tyger at all. There's some fantastic music on it.
That irks me every time I hear it, and I'm not even British! You'd think that would have gotten corrected in rehearsals or at least they could have done a retake. Somewhere I still have a t-shirt promoting the Tyger album that was sent out by the TD International Fan Club. They were free because Tyger was spelled 'Tiger' on the shirt, and obviously they couldn't sell them.

Not a bad album, though. Not as good as Underwater Sunlight, but some decent music to be sure.