Tyger reappraisal

whiteeagle
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Tyger reappraisal

Post by whiteeagle »

Hello to everyone, after a long time absence

recently I decided to give a try to "Tyger", an album I was ignoring for a long time :D
But after few hearings, I was hooked to it :D
In fact, IMHO, I think it's the best second-half 80's album, and the poem-reading doesn't put me off.
"Alchemy Of The Heart", especially the 'second' part is simply beautiful, as beautiful as "Song Of The Whale" was.
"Smile" has that CF rhythm-and-sequencers influence to it, and "21st Century Common Man" is a great sountrack to an imaginary sci-fi film :D

Also, yesterday I purchased the album in an US, 'Caroline Records' vinyl pressing, only to find that "21st Century Common Man" was omitted from the LP version :shock:

Anyway, a great album :D
Keep on (Tangerine) Dreaming
timer

Re: Tyger reappraisal

Post by timer »

whiteeagle wrote:Hello to everyone, after a long time absence

recently I decided to give a try to "Tyger", an album I was ignoring for a long time :D
But after few hearings, I was hooked to it :D
In fact, IMHO, I think it's the best second-half 80's album, and the poem-reading doesn't put me off.
"Alchemy Of The Heart", especially the 'second' part is simply beautiful, as beautiful as "Song Of The Whale" was.
"Smile" has that CF rhythm-and-sequencers influence to it, and "21st Century Common Man" is a great sountrack to an imaginary sci-fi film :D

Also, yesterday I purchased the album in an US, 'Caroline Records' vinyl pressing, only to find that "21st Century Common Man" was omitted from the LP version :shock:

Anyway, a great album :D
Its a great sounding album , with some great music on I would agree, I just find the vocals a bit too much of a contrast to the music.
There is a bootleg recording ,I think from Berlin 87 with some fabulous instrumental versions from this album - that are brilliant.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hugely underated IMHO and London is a fantastic track 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

The end of London is IMO some of the best music TD has ever done. I like Tyger as a whole and don't have any problems with the vocals.
24db

Post by 24db »

Apart from the pronoucation of Thames I haven't got a problem with Tyger at all. There's some fantastic music on it.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Not really one of my favorites although there is some good music on there.
har

Post by har »

This is more an initial appraisal for me as I just got Tyger last week :wink:

I like this album :D

Think the vocals are something different, quite a risk to blend a female New York soul singer with the music of TD. I think it works well, even the spoken passages.

AND there is really some great music on all of these tracks. Glad I finally got this one even if it is 21 years late.
har

Post by har »

On the Tyger sleeve notes describing this time span it states........

"The success of their 1985 release Underwater Sunlight helped re establish the band in the eyes of many fans who had somewhat lost heart after the last couple of slightly below par albums on their long time home Virgin records"

:?:

Is this referring to Flashpoint and Firestarter then?, I ask as I have not heard them yet.
dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams »

har wrote:On the Tyger sleeve notes describing this time span it states........

"The success of their 1985 release Underwater Sunlight helped re establish the band in the eyes of many fans who had somewhat lost heart after the last couple of slightly below par albums on their long time home Virgin records"

Is this referring to Flashpoint and Firestarter then?, I ask as I have not heard them yet.
Flashpoint and Firestaerter wasn't on Virgin
No trees were harmed in the creation of this post but several trillion electrons were slightly inconvenienced.
dreamerofdreams

har wrote:On the Tyger sleeve notes describing this time span it states........

The last Virgin albums were White Eagle, Logos Live and Hyperborea. All class stuff to these ears.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this post but several trillion electrons were slightly inconvenienced.
har

Post by har »

Ok doke, was going by voices in the net there which seemed to imply they were.

Must be talking about Risky Business and Hyperborea then :?
dreamerofdreams

har wrote:Ok doke, was going by voices in the net there which seemed to imply they were.

Whoops! Forgot Risky Business was on virgin :oops: :oops:
har

Post by har »

uknationalist wrote:
har wrote:Ok doke, was going by voices in the net there which seemed to imply they were.

Cant speak for Risky business but Hyperborea "slightly below par" :?: :?

I am away to stick it on to check this assessment out :wink:

:)
dreamerofdreams

har wrote:
uknationalist wrote:

Cant speak for Risky business but Hyperborea "slightly below par" :?: :?

I am away to stick it on to check this assessment out :wink:

:)

Risky Business has Love on a Real Train on it. Worth the price of admission on that alone. I like Hyperborea.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Just had a listen to Tyger for the first time in a wee while..still a good album & London's finale still gives goosebumps.