Poland

cantosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by cantosis »

sparrow wrote:
cantosis wrote:Well listening to this again this morning all the thoughts came flooding back from when I first heard it in the 90s. wonderfull album. TD have really made some amazing live albums
Very true Matt...I can't think of a TD live album I don't like ..I even like 220 Volt. 8)
I like 220 Volt as well 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
sparrow wrote:
cantosis wrote:Well listening to this again this morning all the thoughts came flooding back from when I first heard it in the 90s. wonderfull album. TD have really made some amazing live albums
Very true Matt...I can't think of a TD live album I don't like ..I even like 220 Volt. 8)
you've gone all wrong Matt ;)
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

Is 220 Volt supposed to be the "bad" live album now? Much better than eg. East, Rockface, or either of VW and Tournado, and IMO about the same quality as Pergamon/Quichotte. No contest against Poland tho :)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

cantosis wrote:
sparrow wrote:
Great album IMHO,always liked it 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

cantosis wrote:
sparrow wrote:
I like 220 Volt....

...but think it's been kinda blown out of the water by Arizona.
studio35d

Post by studio35d »

Tropylium wrote:
GlynRichards wrote:I'm not sure which verison I have but the track listings are...

Poland 22:26
Tangent 19:55
Barbakane 13:52
Horizon 20:50
That's the longest 1CD version. Still missing Barbakane part 3.

BTW, in case someone didn't get the memo :wink: - no edition covers the full uncut concert, which had a bunch of stuff not found on the album, eg. further encores. (Also vice versa; Barbakane part 1 is a studio bonus)
I'v always been amazed by this concert. The first time I listened to the LP was in 1986, and was also the first time I have heared of TD at all. I remember the first experience was rather dark and spooky. But the more I listened to it, the more I fell in love with TD. The full double LP/CD versions are still one of my favorite TD albums.

I also have a tape somewhere with the copy of an airplay of the concert. The quality is really poor, but it shows that the double LP is even just an excerpt of the real thing. Some clever cuts were made on the official release and it has been properly mixed.
I have been looking for a better version of the airplay recording, or even a audience recording, but even on the Tangerine Tree project, there is nothing to be found of this concerts at all. Does any CDR exist with a proper quality recording of the full concert at all?
Studio35D = Rene Splinter
www.renesplinter.com
24db

Post by 24db »

"...the band's tick-tock sequencer runs and synth washes had lapsed into anaemic and telegraphed self-parody. This was due to a quite shamless bid for post-Kraftwerk commercial acceptance"

Paul Stump referring to Poland in Uncut magazine in 2002.

he goes on to dismiss the rest of TD's output on the 'Anthology' compilation as: ...." some of the most prententious musak ever comitted to disc, soulless, humourless, worthless

Um...no comment
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

24db wrote:"...the band's tick-tock sequencer runs and synth washes had lapsed into anaemic and telegraphed self-parody. This was due to a quite shamless bid for post-Kraftwerk commercial acceptance"

he goes on to dismiss the rest of TD's output on the 'Anthology' compilation as: ...." some of the most prententious musak ever comitted to disc, soulless, humourless, worthless

Um...no comment
Brutal.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:"...the band's tick-tock sequencer runs and synth washes had lapsed into anaemic and telegraphed self-parody. This was due to a quite shamless bid for post-Kraftwerk commercial acceptance"

Um...no comment
Must be a different version of Poland from the one I've got. Can't see the version I've been playing for over 20 years getting into the top 40. :wink:

Fair dues to Paul though, if anyone one knows anything about prententious, soulless, humourless and worthless things, it has to be him.
mikewp

Post by mikewp »

Um...no comment
I don't post much, I lurk and read, but, I had to chime in here as Stump's opinion, although he's entitled to it - is pretty much worthless.

Reading Digital Gothic was one of the more dismaying experiences I've had and one of the more puzzling : WHY in the world do you write a biography of a band you have very little, to almost no taste for?

Reading a book which was written with such an agenda gave me no desire whatsoever to read anything else of Stump's - ever - ever - forever.

Putz - to put it lightly
24db

Post by 24db »

spot on!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

mikewp wrote:

Um...no comment
I don't post much, I lurk and read, but, I had to chime in here as Stump's opinion, although he's entitled to it - is pretty much worthless.

Reading Digital Gothic was one of the more dismaying experiences I've had and one of the more puzzling : WHY in the world do you write a biography of a band you have very little, to almost no taste for?

Reading a book which was written with such an agenda gave me no desire whatsoever to read anything else of Stump's - ever - ever - forever.

Putz - to put it lightly

it just reinforces the fact (apart from the forthcoming EF bio), that the lack of decent TD books/biographies is quite terrible......
...The wise.....are silent.....
Justin

Post by Justin »

Still in my top 5 TD albums. 1983 was another classic TD year. Shame i was only 10 at the time and more interested in footie and matchbox cars!
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

I won an auction for the 2-CD version on Ebay, but it's been 3 or 4 weeks and it hasn't arrived from the UK. The seller's been writing back and now he isn't sounding very honest. So I'm pretty upset about this.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Tropylium wrote:Is 220 Volt supposed to be the "bad" live album now? Much better than eg. East, Rockface, or either of VW and Tournado, and IMO about the same quality as Pergamon/Quichotte. No contest against Poland tho :)
i think valentine wheels and Tournado are on par. but i just prefer to hear the leaves versions.

220 volt is a stellar album, but you might as well just listen to Arizona. Arizona is my favourite live album of theirs, the guitars are just decimating. Poland is a very close second. Encore is a composite album, but it deserves mentioning
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "