The Story behind TD titles!

Lewis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Lewis »

I was always under the impression Logos meant "Devine Word", and that might fit in with the religious text on the LP version "Let there be light" I think it was with the figure standing in the clouds.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

Ok we had a definition for Quichotte but how about Pergamon? Anything to do with this museum in former East Berlin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergamon_museum
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

24db

Re: Logos & Pantha Rhei

Post by 24db »

Mars wrote:LOGOS & PANTHA RHEI

Has these two track names someting in common?

Yes! The greek pre socratic Philosopher Heraclitus!

Heraclitus (ca. 535–475 BCE) established the term "Logos" in Western philosophy as meaning both the source and fundamental order of the cosmos.

Heraclitus of Ephesus (Ancient Greek: Ἡράκλειτος ὁ Ἐφέσιος — Hērákleitos ho Ephésios; c. 535–c. 475 BCE) was a pre-Socratic Greek philosopher, a native of Ephesus, Ionia, on the coast of Asia Minor. He was of distinguished parentage. Little is known about his early life and education, but he regarded himself as self-taught and a pioneer of wisdom. From the lonely life he led, and still more from the riddling nature of his philosophy and his contempt for humankind in general, he was called the "The Obscure," and the "Weeping Philosopher."

Heraclitus is famous for his doctrine of change being central to the universe, summarized in his famous quote, "You can not step twice into the same river." He believed in the unity of opposites, stating that "the path up and down is one and the same," existing things being characterized by pairs of contrary properties. His cryptic utterance that "all things come to be in accordance with this Logos," (literally, "word," or "account") has been the subject of numerous interpretations.

LOGOS:
Main article: Logos
"The idea that all things come to pass in accordance with this Logos"[17] and "the Logos is common,"[18] is expressed in two famous but obscure fragments:

This Logos holds always but humans always prove unable to understand it, both before hearing it and when they have first heard it. For though all things come to be in accordance with this Logos, humans are like the inexperienced when they experience such words and deeds as I set out, distinguishing each in accordance with its nature and saying how it is. But other people fail to notice what they do when awake, just as they forget what they do while asleep. (DK 22B1)

For this reason it is necessary to follow what is common. But although the Logos is common, most people live as if they had their own private understanding. (DK 22B2)

The meaning of Logos also is subject to interpretation: "word", "account", "plan", "formula", "measure", "proportion", "reckoning."[19] Though Heraclitus "quite deliberately plays on the various meanings of logos",[20] there is no compelling reason to suppose that he used it in a special technical sense, significantly different from the way it was used in ordinary Greek of his time.[21]

The later Stoics understood it as "the account which governs everything,"[22] and the Hippolytus, in the 3rd century, identified it as meaning the Christian Word of God.[23]

PANTHA RHEI:
Panta rhei, "everything flows"
Πάντα ῥεῖ (panta rhei) "everything flows" either was not spoken by Heraclitus or did not survive as a quotation of his. This famous aphorism used to characterize Heraclitus' thought comes from Simplicius.[24] The word rhei, adopted by rhe-o-logy, is simply the Greek word for "to stream."[25]

Heraclitus by Hendrick ter BrugghenThe philosophy of Heraclitus is summed up in his cryptic utterance:[26]

Heraclitus --------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclitus#Logos
Edgar: "Logos is a Greek word, and means mental power and universal knowledge"
Lucan

Post by Lucan »

Anyone who can shed some light on the origins of the "Zeit" track titles gets my first-born child.
If celibacy was good enough for my father, and his father before him, it's bloody well good enough for me!
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

OK. This is just a few random assumptions and guesswork based on a bit of Googling

Birth Of Liquid Pleiades
The Pleiades, from the Greek mythology; companions of Artemis, were the seven daughters of the titan Atlas and the sea-nymph Pleione.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades_(Greek_mythology)

Origin Of Supernatural Probabilities
Applying the Science of Probability to the Scriptures
Do statistics prove the Bible's supernatural origin?
by Dr. David R. Reagan :?:
http://www.lamblion.com/articles/articles_bible6.php

Nebulous Dawn
In a review of Maria Capozza's book "Movimenti Servili Nel Mondo Romano In Eta Repubblicana", the reviewer states that the first half of the book is devoted to three incidents from the nebulous dawn of the Republic
http://www.jstor.org/pss/299735

Zeit
Time
german word for time

So, the one that's always puzzled me....Too H ot For My Chinchilla :shock:

A quick google and...

http://www.erodent.co.uk/BeforeYouBuy.htm

So, who knew :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
j_pertou

Post by j_pertou »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:So, the one that's always puzzled me....Too H ot For My Chinchilla :shock:
The title was explained in the TD RADIO stream by Jon Kirkman
http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/gal ... e1_set.htm
When it's dark enough, you can see the stars.
Sean_Montgomery

Post by Sean_Montgomery »

Choronzon - a demon or devil that originated in writing with the 16th century occultists Edward Kelley and John Dee within the latter's occult system of Enochian magic. In the 20th century he became an important element within the mystical system of Thelema, founded by Aleister Crowley, where he is the Dweller in the Abyss, believed to be the last great obstacle between the adept and enlightenment. Thelemites believe that if he is met with proper preparation, then his function is to destroy the ego, which allows the adept to move beyond the Abyss of occult cosmology.

Choronzon appeared in the 'Sandman' graphic novels.

Remote Viewing
- The purported ability to gather information about a distant or unseen target using paranormal means or extra-sensory perception. Typically a remote viewer is expected to give information about an object that is hidden from physical view and separated at some distance.

Rolling Down Cahuenga
Melrose
Coldwater Canyon
Cherokee Lane

- All names of streets in Los Angeles

Barbakane (Barbican)
- Semicircular fortified outpost in Warsaw, Poland, and one of few remaining relics of the complex network of historic fortifications that once encircled Warsaw.

Silver Scale - On or about May 17, 1957, "The Silver Scale", the first piece of computer music, was heard at Bell Telephone Laboratories in Murray Hill, New Jersey.

Sojus - Russian spelling of 'Soyuz', the name of craft in the countries' space program.

Tangram - A dissection puzzle consisting of seven flat shapes, called tans, which are put together to form shapes. The objective of the puzzle is to form a specific shape (given only in outline or silhouette) using all seven pieces, which may not overlap.

Ultima Thule - In medieval geographies, may denote any distant place located beyond the "borders of the known world." Some people use Ultima Thule as the Latin name for Greenland when Thule is used for Iceland.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Sean_Montgomery wrote:Choronzon - a demon or devil that originated in writing with the 16th century occultists Edward Kelley and John Dee within the latter's occult system of Enochian magic. In the 20th century he became an important element within the mystical system of Thelema, founded by Aleister Crowley, where he is the Dweller in the Abyss, believed to be the last great obstacle between the adept and enlightenment. Thelemites believe that if he is met with proper preparation, then his function is to destroy the ego, which allows the adept to move beyond the Abyss of occult cosmology.

Choronzon appeared in the 'Sandman' graphic novels.

further reading on AC's attempt to invoke Choronzon can be found in AC's Liber418 (Published as 'The Vision and The Voice) and extensively in other writings, in AC's 'Confessions' etc etc.

I own a recording of AC initiating The Call of the 10th Aethyr, which supposedly calls Choronzon hither, according to Dee.

Personally, TD's choronzon is far better at invoking other realms :P
...The wise.....are silent.....
David Gale

Zeit and Logos

Post by David Gale »

I've always been struck by the connection between the titles of the first three tracks on Zeit. They all refer to beginnings ("Birth", "Dawn". "Origins") and all refer to something ethereal or fluid ("Liquid", "Nebulous", "Supernatural"). Coincidence or plan?
To continue the discussion on "Logos", it is indeed a Greek word meaning literally "word" hence why most subjects under study end in "logy" (theology, psychology, technology etc). John's gospel describes Jesus Christ as "the Word (logos) made flesh"in the first chapter (usually read as the last reading in the service of 9 lessons and carols at Christmas). The idea of logos as divine wisdom was a well-known concept in the first century and John applied this to Christ as the embodiment of this wisdom. The quotation on the cover of the album Logos is actually a misquote as it ascribes the words "Let there be more light" to Christ - there is no record in the gospels of Jesus using these words but the book of Genesis opens with the words "Let there be light". "Let there be more light" is the title of the first track of "A Saucerful of Secrets" by Pink Floyd.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:OK. This is just a few random assumptions and guesswork based on a bit of Googling

Birth Of Liquid Pleiades
The Pleiades, from the Greek mythology; companions of Artemis, were the seven daughters of the titan Atlas and the sea-nymph Pleione.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades_(Greek_mythology)

Origin Of Supernatural Probabilities
Applying the Science of Probability to the Scriptures
Do statistics prove the Bible's supernatural origin?
by Dr. David R. Reagan :?:
http://www.lamblion.com/articles/articles_bible6.php

Nebulous Dawn
In a review of Maria Capozza's book "Movimenti Servili Nel Mondo Romano In Eta Repubblicana", the reviewer states that the first half of the book is devoted to three incidents from the nebulous dawn of the Republic
http://www.jstor.org/pss/299735

Zeit
Time
german word for time

:

Re: The Story behind TD titles!

Post by Insvims »

The other night I had a weird dream. I could not talk, only bark in a strange way. I struggled to get understood by people around me (no wonder). :P

So...

Silence The Barking Monk

Story behind this :?:
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Ambient Monkeys anyone?
exit81

Post by exit81 »

3 AM AT THE BORDER OF THE MARSH FROM OKEFENOKEE

I was reading a book on UFO sightings years ago and it described a famous sighting by a person/people who lived at the edge (i.e., the border) of the marsh at Okefenokee, and it was around 3 am in the morning! Maybe one of the band heard of the sighting, or just a co-incidence.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

exit81 wrote:3 AM AT THE BORDER OF THE MARSH FROM OKEFENOKEE

I was reading a book on UFO sightings years ago and it described a famous sighting by a person/people who lived at the edge (i.e., the border) of the marsh at Okefenokee, and it was around 3 am in the morning! Maybe one of the band heard of the sighting, or just a co-incidence.
In a nutshell. That incident is where TD got the title and inspiration.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

sparrow wrote:
exit81 wrote:3 AM AT THE BORDER OF THE MARSH FROM OKEFENOKEE

In a nutshell. That incident is where TD got the title and inspiration.

3 AM AT THE BORDER OF THE MARSH FROM OKEFENOKEE

one of my very favourite TD tracks. in headphones, in darkness..the atmosphere it conjures up - is quite spine chillingly evocative

:D
...The wise.....are silent.....