Looking Back : LOGOS

Erik
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Erik »

really delightful album, has perfect progression. i really like all the shows around this time too.
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

I always liked "Logos". Pretty cold sound but I thought it contained a great array of styles mixed together, some experimental sections with orignal sounds some beautiful melodies, some dark parts and joyous ones (like Dominion).
This recording is always a journey through bizarre landscapes.. I've played it two or three times in a matter of one week, recently... something I had not done in ages not since its release, I think.

I wouldn't have minded a remaster with the two parts, really, like on the LP. The connection between part 1 & 2 is artificial anyway.

What I always wonder about and probably more often now than ever before is who composed which part in Td's music, and especially on Logos. It seemed t me at one point that Johannes Schmoelling was doing a lot of the catchy melodic work... but yet, now I'm not so sure, as I didn't find so much of these great melodies on the solo albums that I know by him.
24db

Post by 24db »

Fritter Jr. wrote:
24db wrote:
Fritter Jr. wrote:An amazing album, made better by the memories of being there. It was my first sit-down gig (for musicians as well as audience) and through my juvenile bewilderment I remember:
the interminable wait for them to start, only for the "thank you for being patient" announcement to make me think, 'Oh, that's nice of them'.

The chest-vibrating bass (especially on what became the first part of Side 2) and those FM shrieks and gongs scaring the bejesus out of me and being quite relieved when the following sequence started up.

Mojave Plan, Midnight In Tula and White Eagle were highlights as they were still so fresh and rocked so hard.

It's odd that I don't recall them doing Choronzon as that was my favourite track at the time, but that's 28 years for you.

Schmoelling really gave it some on his solos throughout, didn't he?.

The minimalist lighting/visuals were very effective and I thought the fact that the musicians spent a lot of their time with their backs to the audience was very cool indeed, as were Chris's cowboy boots. And to cap it all the back of my head turns up on the album cover!!!

Apologies for rambling, but this was a special night and the record has remained a favourite ever since. It's nice to read that so many people 'here' were 'there'.
Johannes played quite a few of melodies (on his Oberheim and Roland Jupiter 8?...I forget now), but they were quite low in the mix at times, whereas the sequencer melodies were still belting out (very loud even right at the back of the hall...loved the BASS, especially the doom ridden section on part 2...leading into the little false start to the sequencer section. Don't remember the band playing with the backs to the audience (only Chris for obvious reasons), as their equipment was set up differently (Edgar told me last month that the Helmut Grothe sequencers have been 'recycled'.

I remember doing a double take when Johannes played the melody on the long version of Choronzon thinking 'he's ****ed it up' only to realise that TD had changed the arrangement (from 6 to 8 bars, for musos amongst you). Mind you it still sounds wrong to me, even to this day.

I seem to have a memory that the curtains opened to a darkened stage, with only the equipment lights or perhaps a very faint purple and then increased to a rich Red when then 'Wake-up' part of Logos started to play (perhaps with some flame effects..or am I thinking of the twisted curtains? being short sighted I was lucky I could see the stage :D). Later they had some backlighting and a couple of slide projections (pyramids, statues...and the earth for White Eagle).
Yes! I remember thinking at the start, "All musical equipment should have chaser lights on it". I recall all three of them turned away at the start, twiddling knobs and pushing buttons on the racks behind them, like some kind of space ship crew. From the sounds of it, Edgar and Johannes were probably just trying to get theirs to work :lol:
my 'guess' is that Chris's Moog 960 sequencers (the things with the lights on) where doing little if anything on the night and most things were coming off his digital sequencer or 'something else'

The Helmut Grothe sequencers, although very unreliable (Chris said 'at best' they only worked 70% of the time) did work, as I remember Johannes stopping a whole track and then re-starting it during one of the encores in 81 or 82
dgb1

Post by dgb1 »

This album is stunning!
If I was to introduce a friend/colleague to Tangerine Dream then either Logos or Poland would be the discs to give them.
Yes they are lengthy and progressive, but they are also very accessible (I think).

The voice that repeats over and over during one of the sections in the first half - what does it say?
Is it "Wake up"?

P.S this is my first post on the forum, did I do OK?
Also, I play keyboards and write electronic music, listen to my stuff at the MySpace link below. :wink:

David
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Welcome David from a fellow Scot........ 8)
Steve

Post by Steve »

I saw TD on this tour at the Derby Assembly Rooms, whilst at college in Derby. I was in the fourth or fifth row with my mates Sam and John. It was a stunning gig, and the second time that I had seen the band in concert. I was suprised by the liveliness of this gig compared to the previous tour. I remember that during the encores, I looked up to the balcony and people where dancing. The stage set was sparse, with a back-drop projection.

When the Dominion album came out it brought back lots of great memories of the concert that I went to, and I have loved the album since first hearing it. It is one of their classics in my opinion. I recently bought the remastered c.d. version, and was pleasantly suprised to find that the whole set plays as one track, with the encores tacked onto the end.

Sublime!!
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

'Logos' is superb, but I've always wondered why the dry production with no hall ambience microphones for most of the recording. Compare this to audience recordings from the same tour or Royal Albert Hall 1975 which magnificently brings to life the hall acoustics.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

dgb1 wrote:The voice that repeats over and over during one of the sections in the first half - what does it say?
Is it "Wake up"?
Yes. It's a digital sample.

....welcome, by the way.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
genesis1964

Post by genesis1964 »

Great album one of my faves.

Welcome David to the forum (also David from Scotland!!)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I had quite a debate about this album with a mate. Believe it or not he doesn't like Logos. I told him to have a good listen and if he don't like it still theres something needing done about his ears...nah...I told him it is deservidly a highly thought of album and IS one of TD's best of all time. :roll:
rigel

Post by rigel »

Chris Monk wrote:
dgb1 wrote:The voice that repeats over and over during one of the sections in the first half - what does it say?
Is it "Wake up"?

....welcome, by the way.
A friend of mine (not a TD fan) heard this segment of Logos and thought the sample voice was saying something entirely different. In fact, his interpretation is entirely inappropriate for me to repeat here! :wink:

But yes, it is indeed "Wake up!"
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

rigel wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
Is it "Wake up"?

....welcome, by the way.
A friend of mine (not a TD fan) heard this segment of Logos and thought the sample voice was saying something entirely different. In fact, his interpretation is entirely inappropriate for me to repeat here! :wink:

But yes, it is indeed "Wake up!"
I read an article where Edgar stated that it was one of the first digital samples and it was definitely "Wake up!!!". It was designed to do just that, wake up the audience. Not from sleep obviously, who could sleep through a TD gig, but to the world around them. Not as effective as a bullwhip into a piano though. :wink:

Sadly I can't find the article. :cry:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

24db wrote:...we need Tony to tell us about the afternoon show now!!!!!!!!

tony??
Does anyone know if a recording of the afternoon show at the Dominion has ever surfaced? It would be interesting to compare the performance with the evening one.