Looking Back : WHITE EAGLE

MORIBOSA
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Convention of the 24 and Mojave Plan

Post by MORIBOSA »

Convention of the 24 melts into the back of my mind and begins governing my thought processes without my knowing it. It is such a perfect system of formulas! Mojave Plan--when i was in 8th grade(in 1983) I was supposed to be taking aN EXAM and instead I was listening to MP on an earphone secretly hidden in my hair. My teacher realised what was up and decided to make an example of me to the class. He pulled out my earphone and listened to what I was listening to. It was the beginning of MP and his eyes just bugged out and he never messed with me again!

thank you TANGERINE DREAM for making me take life for what it is!
24db

Post by 24db »

Welcome to the forum.

White Eagle is a brilliant album, always has been, always will be!
billythefish

Re: Convention of the 24 and Mojave Plan

Post by billythefish »

MORIBOSA wrote:Convention of the 24 melts into the back of my mind and begins governing my thought processes without my knowing it. It is such a perfect system of formulas! Mojave Plan--when i was in 8th grade(in 1983) I was supposed to be taking aN EXAM and instead I was listening to MP on an earphone secretly hidden in my hair. My teacher realised what was up and decided to make an example of me to the class. He pulled out my earphone and listened to what I was listening to. It was the beginning of MP and his eyes just bugged out and he never messed with me again!

That's a great story about the exam!
White Eagle has always been in my top five favourite albums. Welcome to the forum BTW.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Fritter Jr.

Post by Fritter Jr. »

I listened to this last night for the first time in a long while - not a duff moment in there, and it brings back such great memories of the Dominion concert: Mojave Plan was where the whole gig got rockin' (of course we hadn't heard Logos at the time so it seemed a fairly subdued start) and White Eagle at the end was unbelievable. Part of a truly classic run of LPs by anyone (Electronic Meditation to Poland :D )
har

Post by har »

Fritter Jr. wrote:I listened to this last night for the first time in a long while - not a duff moment in there
Welcome Fritter Jr.

Likewise listened to this last week, first time in ages. Thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact away to stick it on again shortly.
har

Post by har »

As above :wink:

Had White Eagle in the car this week. Now it has never been one of my favourite TD albums, but again I enjoyed listening to it a few times this week. I think it is growing on me over the years :wink:

That Mojave Plan really is a class tune 8)
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

strangely, I bought White Eagle and then a couple of weeks later bought The Photographer by Philip Glass. Imagine my surprise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHzcNlVwP3E
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

har wrote:As above :wink:

Had White Eagle in the car this week. Now it has never been one of my favourite TD albums, but again I enjoyed listening to it a few times this week. I think it is growing on me over the years :wink:

That Mojave Plan really is a class tune 8)
That's happened to me a few times with TD albums, in particular Cyclone, Hyperboria and Edgar's Pinnacles, so now I don't dis an album until I've lived with it for a while.

White Eagle wasn't one of those albums, I loved it from the start. Yep Mojave Plan is classic.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

the orchestral version of Mojave Plan is pretty well done!

i really enjoy this album, but i don't know much about it. the production, the technique, the history and development, the inspiration...

the title track is the highlight for me. i always picture a huge white eagle taking off. and flying against a blue sky. the Maedchen remixes of this were really good too
billythefish wrote:
MORIBOSA wrote:Convention of the 24 melts into the back of my mind and begins governing my thought processes without my knowing it. It is such a perfect system of formulas! Mojave Plan--when i was in 8th grade(in 1983) I was supposed to be taking aN EXAM and instead I was listening to MP on an earphone secretly hidden in my hair. My teacher realised what was up and decided to make an example of me to the class. He pulled out my earphone and listened to what I was listening to. It was the beginning of MP and his eyes just bugged out and he never messed with me again!

That's a great story about the exam!
White Eagle has always been in my top five favourite albums. Welcome to the forum BTW.
that was an amazing first post.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Firstly, a late welcome, Moribosa. Nice story about the teacher...

About White Eagle... Well, I just love the title track and I do wonder lately who composed it, actually, out of Mssrs, Froese, Franke and Schmoelling.
It's certainly one of the most beautiful tracks that TD ever produced. Simple and moving, nicely orchestrated, an arrangement built in crescendo, exactly how I like music to be arranged, quite often... I like it when TD are moving...

I still play the album from time to time. I think I always liked it but the mechanical, cold edge of "Mojave Plan" was a tad disturbing for me at one point, later in the 90's. I was quite disgusted by the cold production of so many records at the time, probably.
Funny how I was never bothered by the rather atonal introduction of "Mojave Plan", back in 82... I was only 16 after all, but my ears were really getting accustomed to unusual sounds and music. Indeed, I loved strange sounds, quite often.
"Midnight in Tula" was mysterious and sounded a bit like what many "cold wave" bands and maybe the Eurythmics would do around that era.
That was an unusual track for TD but a very interesting one.
What is amazing about "Mojave Plan" and "Convention of the 24" is the rhythmic structures and programming... It is sometimes very complex, very original, I think. Rhythms are melodic and melodies are rhythmical... strange way to say what I feel.
"Convention of the 24" took some time to be fully appreciated but it's a unique piece of work in TD's catalogue, I think. I liked it much better after a few years. (as often with TD's tracks, I wonder where the title comes from, btw).

I tended to consider "Exit", "White Eagle" and "Hyperborea" as a trilogy in TD's repertoire. I always liked "Hyperborea" less than the 2 previous, except for the fantastic title-track. But I often hesitated between "Exit" and "White Eagle" to be my favourite. Now, I prefer "White Eagle", quite neatly. clearly. I think there's not a single weak moment on it.