Looking back at Cyclone

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Looking back at Cyclone

Post by epsilon75 »

A controversial release for many because of the lyrics but this album holds plenty of merit for me especially the IMHO superb "Madrigal Meridian".

Not to everyone's taste but not half as bad as was made out :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Mars

Post by Mars »

I love this album! I think that Jolliffe`s vocals suites the music perfectly!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Mars wrote:I love this album! I think that Jolliffe`s vocals suites the music perfectly!
I certainly enjoyed it Stale and still do :)
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

It was quite a shock when I first heard it, but over the years it's become a cornerstone in the TD discography - probably their most pure prog-rock album to date IMO.

Side 2 (MM) is still my favourite, but Steve Jolliffes vocal (and flute) contributions are also very much appreciated 8)
Mars

Post by Mars »

bergen-dreamer wrote:It was quite a shock when I first heard it, but over the years it's become a cornerstone in the TD discography - probably their most pure prog-rock album to date IMO.

Side 2 (MM) is still my favourite, but Steve Jolliffes vocal (and flute) contributions are also very much appreciated 8)

Agree with you on the prog rock statement Stein! Very true :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

It's a good album...under the Steve Shouty bits, that is. As has been pointed out...a bit too near prog for me, but...that's just me.

Who told Steve he could sing, that's what I wanna know?...If it had all been vocoder I could have lived with it ;)
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Did not like this one much in the start, but now I appreciate it. Cool Pink Floyd (Animals) reference there as well. :-)
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

I didn't have high expection as many don't like this on. Well, I was positively surprised! I had just found King Crimson and this is TD in King Crimson -style. :wink:

Definitely undervalued.
timer

Post by timer »

Ive never seen / heard what the issue is over Cyclone having vocals - a great work - pity we didn't hear something off it during the Astoria concert with Chris Hausl.
24db

Post by 24db »

PF and KC never used a lyricon to make a sound like a violin....but then again who would want to? ;)

I must say what a top musician Steve is, a real musician's musician...very talented. Off on tangent, I think perhaps it was a mistake for him to re-join T-Dream (perhaps he thinks the same himself?), he'd already done his stint with the group in 1969, hit them when they were experimental, a bit mad, loud, a bit nieve and young and then left. Ok Cyclone is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the 1978 European tour was a very happy experience for musicians or much of the audience (TD also paid a HUGE amount for Laserium, as the costs of gigs spiralled out of control).

You can see why Edgar and Chris would turn to people they already knew, Peter says Adios and leaves them in the lurch...who yah gonna call? Gh....? perhaps not ;)
Last edited by 24db on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:Ive never seen / heard what the issue is over Cyclone having vocals - a great work - pity we didn't hear something off it during the Astoria concert with Chris Hausl.
there's a story behing that Tim...I'll tell you in Berlin
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:PF and KC never used a lyricon to make a sound like a violin....but then again who would want to? ;)

I must say what a top musician Steve is, a real musician's musician...very talented. Off on tangent, I think perhaps it was a mistake for him to re-join T-Dream (perhaps he thinks the same himself?), he'd already done his stint with the group in 1969, hit them when they were experimental, a bit mad, loud, a bit nieve and young and then left. Ok Cyclone is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the 1978 European tour was a very happy experience for musicians or much of the audience (TD also paid a HUGE amount for Laserium, as the costs of gigs spiralled out of control).

You can see why Edgar and Chris would turn to people they already knew, Peter says Adios and leaves them in the lurch...who yah gonna call? Gh....? perhaps not ;)
The 1978 tour at times was not a happy experience what i can gather but thats another story :)
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:PF and KC never used a lyricon to make a sound like a violin....but then again who would want to? ;)

The 1978 tour at times was not a happy experience what i can gather but thats another story :)
stum! ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

stum! ;)
Very stum :wink: :arrow:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

A definite WTF moment when I first heard Cyclone. I didn't listen to it again for quite a few years. But then, in a bored moment with nothing better to do, I put it on the turntable and discovered it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd remembered.

These days I think it's a damned fine album. Pure TD gold.