coventry 1974 finaly on DVD

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hobo »

Froesesque wrote:Yup, my copy came this morning, I've watched it but I'm a bit dissapointed at the running time, 27 minutes and the music was dubbed on afterwards.

Much the same feeling that some people had at the re-recording of Edgar's Pinnacles.

Surely somone else made a better job of this concert, I always dreamed of owning a copy of this concert but now I just feel hollow! :cry:
I bought this knowing full well what the content was, thus avoiding this disappointment. It's still nice to have good quality images of this concert.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
Froesesque wrote:Yup, my copy came this morning, I've watched it but I'm a bit dissapointed at the running time, 27 minutes and the music was dubbed on afterwards.

Much the same feeling that some people had at the re-recording of Edgar's Pinnacles.

Surely somone else made a better job of this concert, I always dreamed of owning a copy of this concert but now I just feel hollow! :cry:
I bought this knowing full well what the content was, thus avoiding this disappointment. It's still nice to have good quality images of this concert.
Hmmm I don't want to be critical of anyone (it's not aimed at anyone in particular), so excuse me for saying this, but I'm amazed that there are still a few people who didn't know what Tony Palmer did, that Ricochet was over dubbed etc etc. I know fans think it's a simple excercise to re-edit the footage into the complete concert (afterall, all you need is the original soundtrack), however this over looks that TP's film is 'the' finished product...this is how it was meant to be seen and how it was broadcast in Oct 3rd 1976 (BBC 2 8.15-8.45pm). The footage would never fit the real soundtrack because it was edited to Ricochet, and not only that, but very few shots are used. You'll note that several shots of the group are used again and again (long zooms on CF and modular, EF and Tron etc etc).
However if people feel ripped off, then I sympathise, afterall money is money.
Last edited by 24db on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

24db wrote: Hmmm I don't want to be critical of anyone, so excuse me for saying this, but I'm amazed that there are still a few people who didn't know what Tony Palmer did, that Ricochet was over dubbed etc etc. I know fans think it's a simple excercise to re-edit the footage into the complete concert (afterall, all you need is the original soundtrack), however this over looks that TP's film is 'the' finished product...this is how it was meant to be seen and how it was broadcast in Oct 3rd 1976 (BBC 2 8.15-8.45pm). The footage would never fit the real soundtrack because it was edited to Ricochet, and not only that, but very few shots are used. You'll note that several shots of the group are used again and again (long zooms on CF and modular, EF and Tron etc etc).
Quite right, sir.

It is a memento of what was broadcast back in olden times, and has to be seen as such. At least this is a LEGITIMATE issue of the film, and as such, hopefully TD will benefit financially from its release.
24db

Post by 24db »

Echosnare wrote:
24db wrote: Hmmm I don't want to be critical of anyone, so excuse me for saying this, but I'm amazed that there are still a few people who didn't know what Tony Palmer did, that Ricochet was over dubbed etc etc. I know fans think it's a simple excercise to re-edit the footage into the complete concert (afterall, all you need is the original soundtrack), however this over looks that TP's film is 'the' finished product...this is how it was meant to be seen and how it was broadcast in Oct 3rd 1976 (BBC 2 8.15-8.45pm). The footage would never fit the real soundtrack because it was edited to Ricochet, and not only that, but very few shots are used. You'll note that several shots of the group are used again and again (long zooms on CF and modular, EF and Tron etc etc).
Quite right, sir.

It is a memento of what was broadcast back in olden times, and has to be seen as such. At least this is a LEGITIMATE issue of the film, and as such, hopefully TD will benefit financially from its release.
Too short though. I'm looking forward to some good extras on TD's forthcoming DVDs (fingers crossed etc etc)...I often find them more interesting than the gigs ;)
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

Much as I preferred the music on Tempodrom, I preferred the extras on Inferno. (Though I enjoyed WATCHING Inferno more than listening to the CD).

Just listening to the artists' own words, no inane interviewers, & the snippets of all the lovely lady singers....... :D

Roll on SBE 2005. & Jeanne D'Arc (hopefully!). :lol:
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

I suppose it was good to see Edgar and the lads in their yooof, but the DVD is still woefully too short. I had to pop on the superb Tempodrom afterwards to remind myself how a TD concert film should be made....
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
24db

Post by 24db »

Froesesque wrote:I suppose it was good to see Edgar and the lads in their yooof, but the DVD is still woefully too short. I had to pop on the superb Tempodrom afterwards to remind myself how a TD concert film should be made....
you should get a fan copy of the Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße
documentary, albeit in German it has some good stuff:
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/search?q=signale
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

24db wrote:
Froesesque wrote:I suppose it was good to see Edgar and the lads in their yooof, but the DVD is still woefully too short. I had to pop on the superb Tempodrom afterwards to remind myself how a TD concert film should be made....
Most enjoyable stuff, Mr King.
24db

Post by 24db »

Echosnare wrote:
24db wrote:
Most enjoyable stuff, Mr King.
...and a tad longer at 46min?
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I say, does anyone know if any of the 1977 gigs were filmed and how much of them was filmed?

Regards,

D_V
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I say, does anyone know if any of the 1977 gigs were filmed and how much of them was filmed?

Regards,

D_V
According to Peter Baumann, the band filmed quite a lot of the Laserium sections of the 77 tour, the idea being they'd later write music to that footage (TD never liked the 'live' laser show, as they felt the laserist didn't have the same improvisation skills, or at least didn't know the band that well.
I'd imagine this was either 8 or 16mm stuff, as used in the 1992 video and DVD
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:I say, does anyone know if any of the 1977 gigs were filmed and how much of them was filmed?

Regards,

D_V
According to Peter Baumann, the band filmed quite a lot of the Laserium sections of the 77 tour, the idea being they'd later write music to that footage (TD never liked the 'live' laser show, as they felt the laserist didn't have the same improvisation skills, or at least didn't know the band that well.

Lets be having some of it i say :arrow: mouthwatering prospect 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:

Regards,

D_V
That would be most welcome. Assuming there are several short filmed segments available, a DVD of various tour snippets would be great.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

24db wrote:

Regards,

D_V
I would be on cloud nine if a DVD could be compiled from these sections and the original music could be used or the T&Ls could be synchronized with the video for a better sound quality. Please suggest it to Edgar whenever you can for me..... Thanks :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
24db wrote:

Regards,

D_V
I would be on cloud nine if a DVD could be compiled from these sections and the original music could be used or the T&Ls could be synchronized with the video for a better sound quality. Please suggest it to Edgar whenever you can for me..... Thanks :arrow:
I'd imagine that TD/Edgar has a huge amount of concert footage (Edgar is or was a keen cameraman). The only sticking point is contracts and the man who musn't be mentioned ;)....if he's featured then Edgar has no interest in it.

Personally, and I must apologise for mentioning it 'again' but I think the hollygrail of filmed footage is the actual recording of Rubycon being improvised at the Manor in 1975. I've seen a short 5 minute extract, but I hear more was done. A friend of mine met the enginner who used to work at the Manor and he said Rubycon was filmed for posterity, well I can wish can't I?
Last edited by 24db on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.