Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 pm
Posts: 7275
I have said it before and Ill say it again, this album kicks ass!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 484
Chris Monk wrote:
Not that keen on Mota Atma, it's more ambient than many TD releases and I'm not that in to ambient music. I still listen to it on occasion but not as much as many of TD's other releases. I remember when it was released that many fans were giving it rave reviews and I would wonder what all the fuss was about. As far as I'm concerned it's a below par performance but not with out it's merits.


i would say it's very well made, and i don't mind the ambient nature of it all. but to me a lot of the tracks are just way too similar. it's hard to ignore.

_________________
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 399
Location: Valley Of The Kings
I can't think of anything good to say about this album. One of the tracks isn't bad but the rest is much too clinical, repetitive, and bland; nearly every track is the same. I sold mine on ebay a few days after I bought it. Still, prefer it to Cyclone though :)

_________________
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 484
ouch, lol

_________________
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:28 pm
Posts: 2279
cantosis wrote:
I have said it before and Ill say it again, this album kicks ass!

No

Quote:
I can't think of anything good to say about this album. One of the tracks isn't bad but the rest is much too clinical, repetitive, and bland; nearly every track is the same.

Yes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:59 am
Posts: 1415
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
cantosis wrote:
I have said it before and Ill say it again, this album kicks ass!

No

Quote:
I can't think of anything good to say about this album. One of the tracks isn't bad but the rest is much too clinical, repetitive, and bland; nearly every track is the same.

Yes

Maybe.

I like some of it.

_________________
public class Geeks : IEarth { }


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
GlynRichards wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
cantosis wrote:
I have said it before and Ill say it again, this album kicks ass!

No

Quote:
I can't think of anything good to say about this album. One of the tracks isn't bad but the rest is much too clinical, repetitive, and bland; nearly every track is the same.

Yes

Maybe.

I like some of it.

Ditto.

I like some of it and listen to it now and again. I'm just not that wild about it. Hate it? Certainly not.

_________________
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:41 pm
Posts: 66
This has been one of my favorites of the more recent TD output. Ambient, yes I suppose so but the atmospheric sequencers drive it home for me. brings to mind the TD from the 70's which was my favorite era. Thankfully free of the wailing woman voice, guitar solos and dance beats.

And as some said, Seven Letters From Tibet is an underrated masterwork, dark and lovely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mota Atma
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 50
This was my latest purchase. I'd previously heard half of the album on Youtube, so I hoped to buy the whole thing at some point. When my copy finally came in the mail, I put the CD in my player and left it there for about a week. I must have listened to it between 8 or 10 times. As others have mentioned, Mota Atma can be a challenging listen. Edgar was clearly in Zen meditation mode during its production, so I can understand why the repetitive music has frustrated several fans. That said, I must admit that I enjoyed the challenge. This album is all about subtlety and nuance. Once you get past the fact that there is little to no pop-ish accessibility in the compositions, you can begin to appreciate the sequencers and everything in between. Granted, this type of musical experience is definitely not for everyone. It's an acquired taste.

This is the third TD record off the top of my head (after Tyranny Of Beauty and Mars Polaris) that made me think, "Wow, Edgar sure loves E minor!" While that key can get really tiring after awhile, I realized that it made me very appreciative of the F-sharp minor forays in "Royal Way Of Privacy". I agree with those who said this album harkens back to the sequencer-heavy 70s period. I guess you can say it's a sort of modern interpretation of an old style. Apart from the aforementioned track, it's hard for me to decide which track is my favorite. I've gotta say, though, that I loved reading Edgar's comments about a few of the tracks in this interview (http://www.tadream.net/articles/interviews/2003.06.25-EF.htm) from 2003. Knowledge of Edgar's philosophical mindset has helped me to appreciate the tracks more. The album finishes rather strongly, with some fine percussion in "Brain Offender" and a glorious evocation of 1998's "Red Ocean" in "A Day In Liberty Valley". Excellent work, Edgar!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mota Atma
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 am
Posts: 2023
Location: staying home getting stiff
E - the guitarist's key maybe?

_________________
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mota Atma
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 193
Very interesting post Purple Twilight. Mota Atma is one I have hardly listened to. I will check it out again this weekend and compare with your thoughts :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mota Atma
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:14 pm
Posts: 20
Mota Atma is mystical, serene, reflective, tranquil and extremely pleasant music.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mota Atma
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 am
Posts: 98
Well, it's very good, but it's kinda repetitive for the most part. It's like the first 5 or 6 tracks are the same one with minimal variations of it, then tracks 8 and 9 are also on the same vein. Not a bad approach at all, but I had to be in the most patient mood to listen to the whole thing. The only tracks I ever really cared for were "Brain Offender", "A Day in Liberty Valley" and my favorite one: "Snow on Angel's Feather". A little TD masterpiece. Actually, this track is the only reason I revisit this record, but I'm not too crazy about it as a whole.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mota Atma
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 56
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Donofrio_TD wrote:
Well, it's very good, but it's kinda repetitive for the most part. It's like the first 5 or 6 tracks are the same one with minimal variations of it, then tracks 8 and 9 are also on the same vein. Not a bad approach at all, but I had to be in the most patient mood to listen to the whole thing. The only tracks I ever really cared for were "Brain Offender", "A Day in Liberty Valley" and my favorite one: "Snow on Angel's Feather". A little TD masterpiece. Actually, this track is the only reason I revisit this record, but I'm not too crazy about it as a whole.


That is EXACTLY how I feel about Mota Atma. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage