Mota Atma

timer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by timer »

Ive always liked this CD , maybe it doesn't get the plays it deserves in our house. 8)
rattymouse

Re: Mota Atma

Post by rattymouse »

cantosis wrote:Just wondering what other fans thought of this album?. I didn`t really expect much after reading Jacob`s review of it but after hearing it for the first time last week I have now listened to it 4 times. I really rate this one. Am I alone?
Mota Atma is what brought be back into the TD family after the dark dark days of the '90s. I had dropped listening to TD for about 4 years and then stumbled upon a copy of Mota Atma at Tower Records. Remembering how I listened to TD for over 10 years, I had wondered if they got any better. I gambled with $18 and bought a copy and was pretty thrilled by it. Waaay waaay better than the stuff I left them on (Rockoon, Goblins Club, ToB). Mota Atma isnt my favorite by a long shot but I like it since it brought me back to TD.
cantosis

Re: Mota Atma

Post by cantosis »

rattymouse wrote:
cantosis wrote:Just wondering what other fans thought of this album?. I didn`t really expect much after reading Jacob`s review of it but after hearing it for the first time last week I have now listened to it 4 times. I really rate this one. Am I alone?
Mota Atma is what brought be back into the TD family after the dark dark days of the '90s. I had dropped listening to TD for about 4 years and then stumbled upon a copy of Mota Atma at Tower Records. Remembering how I listened to TD for over 10 years, I had wondered if they got any better. I gambled with $18 and bought a copy and was pretty thrilled by it. Waaay waaay better than the stuff I left them on (Rockoon, Goblins Club, ToB). Mota Atma isnt my favorite by a long shot but I like it since it brought me back to TD.
Have you gone back to those 90s albums and had any change of heart? I used to hate Goblins Club and TOB but after listening to them lately they actually sound better to what I remember.
24db

Post by 24db »

One of my least liked TD albums, reviewed by Andy G:

TANGERINE DREAM: Mota Atma
We are privileged to be the first to be able to give you the full run-down on the brand new studio album. It runs for fifty-nine minutes, it is all-instrumental and, in my opinion, it is just superb! Opening with deep bass undercurrents and flowing synthscapes, you hear beautiful wordless choirs on top, all incredibly ethereal, as a sequencer line – yes!!! A sequencer line – emerges from the depths and the piece continues to drift and flow, all extremely full-sounding and celestial, layer upon layer gliding through the airwaves - Not at all sweet or sugary, but solid and substantial. The feel is of previous soundtrack work such as ‘Firestarter’ or ‘Exit’ or ‘Thief’ and the combination of synths, sequencers, electronic drums and choral voices makes for one of the finest opening tracks you’ll have heard on a TD album in ages - Eight minutes of sheer bliss! Track 2 continues the thematic quality, this time with more of a solid percussive rhythmic backing, but it’s the combination of layers, choral textures, synths and soundscapes that take you right back to the classic soundtrack work from years gone by - A body of work that remains to this day, seriously underrated, compared to the “real” studio albums. The mixture of melodic synths, deep bass, wordless choral voices, typically TD sounding synthscapes and chunky rhythms, continues, as a wickedly cascading sequencer line emerges, and the piece becomes sheer heaven as the hairs on the back of your neck rise at the thrill of (for the first time in a long while) hearing the faint and familiar strains of days gone by - A powerful and atmospheric track that ends on the most gorgeous choral layer around, and nearly eight more minutes of true excellence. The 3rd track features bubbling synths, sequence rhythms, symphonic synth leads and that all-important sense of space that the group has become known for over the years. With all manner of synth whooshes and melody lines ebbing and flowing out of the mix, the rhythms and soundscapes move inexorably forward, and the SOUNDS is just totally spectacular – but you really have to hear it to see what I mean. The next two tracks continue in the same superb sounding vein – synths, sequencers, occasional percussive rhythms, all combining to create truly warm and human compositions, layer upon layer of rhythm, texture, bass, melody and atmosphere combine to deliver tracks that are a joy to hear. The 6th track is slightly more ethereal, but still uses the bubbling sequencers. At times it almost sounds a bit like early Mark Shreeve when the samples emerge above the rhythmic undercurrents and the symphony of ethereal synths that is flying all around the mix, and it’s just amazing stuff. Track 7 introduces a very solid percussive rhythm as the layers of synths create more rich and melodic leads and soundscapes, altogether vintage soundtrack music as only the band can provide, very substantial yet with a feel that is both familiar and fresh. Finally the 8th track immediately begins in anthemic mode – similar (if I’ve got the right one) to the ‘Thief’ or ‘Exit’ title tracks – with slow, deliberate rhythms and synth layers that rise up majestically to soar like an eagle – a white eagle – as you stare open-mouthed at the sheer strength of the synths, deep bass rivers, choral voices and the miles upon miles of synth sounds that combine to create a truly moving piece of music. Altogether, one of the finest, most consistent and downright enjoyable Tangerine Dream albums in years, and one that will go down as a justifiable gem from the point of view of most fans of the band around today.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Not that keen on Mota Atma, it's more ambient than many TD releases and I'm not that in to ambient music. I still listen to it on occasion but not as much as many of TD's other releases. I remember when it was released that many fans were giving it rave reviews and I would wonder what all the fuss was about. As far as I'm concerned it's a below par performance but not with out it's merits.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Chris Monk wrote:Not that keen on Mota Atma, it's more ambient than many TD releases and I'm not that in to ambient music. I still listen to it on occasion but not as much as many of TD's other releases. I remember when it was released that many fans were giving it rave reviews and I would wonder what all the fuss was about. As far as I'm concerned it's a below par performance but not with out it's merits.
I do love my ambient music so I guess thats why I enjoy this one, it is probably the most ambient album TD have done except for Zeit which I feel is the Godfather of ambient
Last edited by cantosis on Fri May 16, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

cantosis wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:Not that keen on Mota Atma, it's more ambient than many TD releases and I'm not that in to ambient music. I still listen to it on occasion but not as much as many of TD's other releases. I remember when it was released that many fans were giving it rave reviews and I would wonder what all the fuss was about. As far as I'm concerned it's a below par performance but not with out it's merits.
I do love my Ambent music so I guess thats why I enjoy this one, it is probably the most Ambeint album TD have done exceot for Zeit which I feel is the Godfather of ambient
I always put "Seven Letter's Of Tibet" in that category,a wonderful listening experience.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

epsilon75 wrote:
cantosis wrote:
I do love my Ambent music so I guess thats why I enjoy this one, it is probably the most Ambeint album TD have done exceot for Zeit which I feel is the Godfather of ambient
I always put "Seven Letter's Of Tibet" in that category,a wonderful listening experience.
I adore 7 Letters from Tibet. Truly an underrated masterpiece.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

rattymouse wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
cantosis wrote: I do love my Ambent music so I guess thats why I enjoy this one, it is probably the most Ambeint album TD have done exceot for Zeit which I feel is the Godfather of ambient

Yup I agree with that, I listen to 7 letters quite often. Sounds wonderfull through Headphones.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

cantosis wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: I always put "Seven Letter's Of Tibet" in that category,a wonderful listening experience.

Yup I agree with that, I listen to 7 letters quite often. Sounds wonderfull through Headphones.
Strangely I really like Seven Letters

......which really blows the "not liking ambient music thing" well out of the water.

I also like Ziet.... but for gawds sake don't tell Thee BM. :wink:
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

timer wrote:Ive always liked this CD , maybe it doesn't get the plays it deserves in our house. 8)
Same here Tim a great album IMO must play it more often.
Nero

Post by Nero »

I also play Mota Atma and Seven Letters rather often - my wife loves them too and it's great music for chilling...
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

A mysterious album. And a good one!
Can't describe how much I like it. It really talks to me. Love the ambient, but rythmic feel to it.
Detecting the small variations and the details is the key.
No Pleasure No Pain is hauntingly beautiful...
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

I remember liking it, in the beginning, but subsequent, more careful listenings proved to be disappointing... Very disapointing. I think it's rapidly boring, it lacks strong melodies. The arrangements aren't varied... Always the same cold metallic sounds - some that they used way too much around those years...
The first track has got nothing to offer for instance... completely dull for 8 minutes. Bad start. Same with the following one...
Well, I quite like "Royal Way of Privacy"... Brain Offender, the last track is pretty good : one of the very rare real melodies on the whole CD !

But all that is rhythmic bores me, awfully repetitive, cld, artificial,it's not even driving rhythms... There's absolutely no melody in a piece like "prophet in "chains" again, just the same waves of cold choirs and that awful metallic "harpsichord" played percussively.
The rhythm is exactly the same on "Prophet in chains" and "A Fair Days Wage" ! It is the same track or almost !!!
Plus the false snare drum sound gets on my nerves.
I'm playing it right now and really, that's much worse than in my memories... Really that one gets the thumbs down with Transsiberia, Ambient Monkeys and a few others. Only three tracks to save, maybe.

Did the documentary ever see the light of day ? What was it about ? There is not even a real booklet as too often, with the CD...
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

NP Mota Atma

Not really changed my opinion any.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda