Zeit

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Zeit

Post by 24db »

J-"1972, let's go to when the double album Zeit was released. You had another well known musician on that album, Florian Fricke. He was playing his big Moog on that."

EF-" Yeah, he was born in what could be called a very wealthy family, so they gave him the money to buy a huge Moog synthesizer, one of the few instruments which did exist at those days. So we thought it might be a very good idea after producing Alpha Centauri with a little VCS3 synth without any bigger knowledge about electronics at all. We thought ok why not get somebody into the recording session who knows about electronics, got the good instrument and maybe can co-operate very good. So he came into the studio, and It took us how long? 2? 3? days to get a proper tone out of it?."

CF-" It was more like a big black furniture to him, but still it was very impressive though." (laughs)

EF-" You got the truth today!"

(General laughter)

EF-"But the thing was a misunderstanding from our side, because we as musicians, we thought, if you take a piece of instrument; and it's the same today, you never use it ‘before you can handle it’. You start recording when you improve yourself with the instrument, got enough knowledge about it and then you start recording and so it was in the older days, so when we brought him in, we thought ok he can handle this stuff, and he himself he had a antique technician with him ‘usually’. But that technician got ill one day before the studio session started, so he came just by himself with this little gorilla and so that over ran him and over ran us totally."

CF-"But you see we never have a preconception about people, if they have a Big Moog they must be able to do nice music with it."(laughs)
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo

Post by Hobo »

It's interesting from these early articles, you can sense a great feeling of comeraderie between Edgar and Chris and they spend a great deal of time laughing. That's how I like to think of them.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:It's interesting from these early articles, you can sense a great feeling of comeraderie between Edgar and Chris and they spend a great deal of time laughing. That's how I like to think of them.

Yes its a shame that there is bitterness these days,but im sure there is a very valid reason for it.............thats life as they say :(
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Hobo wrote:It's interesting from these early articles, you can sense a great feeling of comeraderie between Edgar and Chris and they spend a great deal of time laughing. That's how I like to think of them.
Is it just me, or do some posts not register?

I was trying to suggest that the fun and friendship seemed to wane as the analogue period ended and everything became more serious and "structured".. maybe it's that they'd been together ten years or so at this point...
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:
Is it just me, or do some posts not register?

I was trying to suggest that the fun and friendship seemed to wane as the analogue period ended and everything became more serious and "structured".. maybe it's that they'd been together ten years or so at this point...
When did the analogue period stop mate? btw that interview was from 1984. Chris and Edgar were stilling talking up to 1995, the big falling out wasn't until far later and expecially (at a guess) 2000/2001. Anyway, I'm moving off topic here.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Pure gold-dust Andy. Made me laugh. I've always thought that Fricke was supposed to be the master technician, a back room boffin but this sheds a new light on his career.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Pure gold-dust Andy. Made me laugh. I've always thought that Fricke was supposed to be the master technician, a back room boffin but this sheds a new light on his career.
It's just silly IMHO to describe Florian as a master of the Moog synthesizer (as I've seen him recently described), he did two albums with the Moog, before becoming bored with it. However he was an amazing musician, and nobody can take away anything from the incredible body of work he produced. Having said that his two LPs with the Moog were excellent
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Pure gold-dust Andy. Made me laugh. I've always thought that Fricke was supposed to be the master technician, a back room boffin but this sheds a new light on his career.
In all fairness to Florian chances are that like TD he got the Moog without a manual, so needed some help geting his round how it functioned. Don't believe me, then download the free demo version of the Arturia MMV Moog Modular and have a go yourself:

http://www.arturia.com/en/demos.php?product=mmv
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
In all fairness to Florian chances are that like TD he got the Moog without a manual, so needed some help geting his round how it functioned. Don't believe me, then download the free demo version of the Arturia MMV Moog Modular and have a go yourself:

Ive been fiddling around with this for weeks and making some wonderfully weird sounds :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

Ive been fiddling around with this for weeks and making some wonderfully weird sounds :D
the CS80 is mental as well :)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

The interviews are just...
24db

Post by 24db »

They're from Inkey$ magazine, which was an audio tape magazine run by Dennis and Jeanette Emsley here in the UK. Every few months they'd be a new one, usually with an Interview (TD, KS, Mark Shreeve, Neuronium, Ian Boddy, Jade Warrior, the Jive label, Dave Lawrence's PULSE label etc), plus tracks from all of the new EM LPs that were coming out.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

Wow!!! That is so much fun. Been getting some real Wakeman like sounds out of it. Got the sequencer running but not been able to get any sound out of it yet. I can se what you mean about not having a manual.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote: In all fairness to Florian chances are that like TD he got the Moog without a manual, so needed some help geting his round how it functioned. Don't believe me, then download the free demo version of the Arturia MMV Moog Modular and have a go yourself:

Wow!!! That is so much fun. Been getting some real Wakeman like sounds out of it. Got the sequencer running but not been able to get any sound out of it yet. I can se what you mean about not having a manual.
use the dropdown keyboard (top right of the control panel)