Interview with Chris Franke from 2001

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

true...but I know Chris has his Projekt Elektronic modular powered up 24/7 at his 'other place', he sometimes goes there to relax and play on it...so never say never.
JD

Post by JD »

24db wrote:true...but I know Chris has his Projekt Elektronic modular powered up 24/7 at his 'other place', he sometimes goes there to relax and play on it...so never say never.
never say never is also what Johannes Schmoelling said about joining TD again , too much of that kind of hoping leads to disappointment :)
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
24db

Post by 24db »

JD wrote:
24db wrote:true...but I know Chris has his Projekt Elektronic modular powered up 24/7 at his 'other place', he sometimes goes there to relax and play on it...so never say never.
never say never is also what Johannes Schmoelling said about joining TD again , too much of that kind of hoping leads to disappointment :)
Well I gave up on Chris years ago...not to write off his career though, it's just that I don't like his music and therefore I decided to spend my money on other things, I'm sure he makes a reasonable living out of it (although rumour has it he's over stretched himself on several ocassions).
JD

Post by JD »

24db wrote:
JD wrote:
Well I gave up on Chris years ago...not to write off his career though, it's just that I don't like his music and therefore I decided to spend my money on other things, I'm sure he makes a reasonable living out of it (although rumour has it he's over stretched himself on several ocassions).
my ex girlfriend used to work in tv and she said composers would get about 100k for a TV film in the USA ...how many did he do ? not to mention the money from B5, I bet he earned a packet.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
24db

Post by 24db »

JD wrote:
24db wrote:
JD wrote: never say never is also what Johannes Schmoelling said about joining TD again , too much of that kind of hoping leads to disappointment :)
my ex girlfriend used to work in tv and she said composers would get about 100k for a TV film in the USA ...how many did he do ? not to mention the money from B5, I bet he earned a packet.
I guess it rather depends on the budget of the film...you'll notice that Chris has scored fairly low key, dare I say it, at times 'B' pictures (as well as some larger films). However he also worked on several US and European TV series, not all of which are widely known (Story of the Keys?...and gulp...er Super Nanny), perhaps some were shelved or went straight to DVD?. Whilst in TD he mortaged himself up to the hilt...and I think this is one of the reasons why Edgar and he started to fall out (off on a tangent). Edgar would be pulling all the stops out trying to get Hollywood work for TD to do, to pay for the equipment (although Edgar is on record saying that he didn't put his own money into the Spandau studio, afterall all three musicians had their own multitrack studios in the City), only to hear Chris complaining about the amount of work they were doing, then leaving (complete with $1,000,000's worth of equipment) and then setting himself up in Hollywood, just doing film scores and rubbing Edgar's nose in it; saying he (Chris) could now compose twice as much music each day than when he was in TD.
JD

Post by JD »

24db wrote:
JD wrote:
24db wrote: Well I gave up on Chris years ago...not to write off his career though, it's just that I don't like his music and therefore I decided to spend my money on other things, I'm sure he makes a reasonable living out of it (although rumour has it he's over stretched himself on several ocassions).
I guess it rather depends on the budget of the film...you'll notice that Chris has scored fairly low key, dare I say it, at times 'B' pictures (as well as some larger films). However he also worked on several US and European TV series, not all of which are widely known (Story of the Keys?), perhaps some were shelved or went straight to DVD?. Whilst in TD he mortaged himself up to the hilt...and I think this is one of the reasons why Edgar and he started to fall out (off on a tangent). Edgar would be pulling all the stops out trying to get Hollywood work for TD to do, to pay for the equipment (although Edgar is on record saying that he didn't put his own money into the Spandau studio, afterall all three musicians had their own multitrack studios in the City), only to hear Chris complaining about the amount of work they were doing, then leaving (complete with $1,000,000's worth of equipment) and then setting himself up in Hollywood, just doing film scores and rubbing Edgar's nose in it; saying he (Chris) could now compose twice as much music each day than when he was in TD.
He did quite a few mid budgets too, the 100k wasnt the major films, i meant the made for tv stuff. He had 2 years to recharge his batteries remember so maybe after that break and free from the constraints of the TD sound, he actually could write twice as much ? not forgetting technology was getting more user friendly too.
24db

Post by 24db »

I agree, afterall I wasn't there...so it's just guesswork on my part and nothing more.

I did hear that Sonic Images had some serious problems a few years back...but that might be just a rumour. Living in Hollywood aint a cheap option...the difference with Chris (and he's on record saying it)...he doesn't take holidays...so perhaps that's how he did so much. The flip side of that is that Hollywood squeezes every gram of talent out of you, like the huge machine it is...you can get used. Chris Franke 'if you just do film scores, without a solo career, you can be treated a bit like a slave'.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:The flip side of that is that Hollywood squeezes every gram of talent out of you, like the huge machine it is...you can get used. Chris Franke 'if you just do film scores, without a solo career, you can be treated a bit like a slave'.
The way it looks, that's the only way you can squeeze music out of that man, 99,9 % of the time.
It's not the film industry's fault he can't deliver solo records. He could have had a nice little solo career in the U.S. electronic music scene. Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Michael Stearns and countless others are all productive and seem to make an ok living from their talents. Maybe that level was not big and important enough for Chris Franke.
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:The flip side of that is that Hollywood squeezes every gram of talent out of you, like the huge machine it is...you can get used. Chris Franke 'if you just do film scores, without a solo career, you can be treated a bit like a slave'.
The way it looks, that's the only way you can squeeze music out of that man, 99,9 % of the time.
It's not the film industry's fault he can't deliver solo records. He could have had a nice little solo career in the U.S. electronic music scene. Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Michael Stearns and countless others are all productive and seem to make an ok living from their talents. Maybe that level was not big and important enough for Chris Franke.

hmmm once you buy into the Ethos of Hollywood you can't do it by half measures, like a pregnant woman, you can't be pregnant just half of the way (apologies to Edgar for stealing his quote ;))..anyway, enough of Chris in Hollywood...see you on another thread
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I'm really glad I read through this thread as it was really interesting. I'm also glad it kinda finished with no bad feeling as was felt a long way back. Cheers all you guys for a facinating and informative read. 8) :D
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Michael66 wrote:Regarding his music, IMHO Chris Franke had one substantial creative moment post-TD, and that's "Frost Ruby" from "Perry Rhodan: Pax Terra" ... The rest, I wouldn't buy again.
Speaking as someone who owns 90+% of Franke's solo work (including soundtracks), I believe that virtually ALL of the soundtracks will be long forgotten in less than a generation. Unlike that of his TD career. That to me is a wasted career.
JD

Post by JD »

rattymouse wrote:
Michael66 wrote:Regarding his music, IMHO Chris Franke had one substantial creative moment post-TD, and that's "Frost Ruby" from "Perry Rhodan: Pax Terra" ... The rest, I wouldn't buy again.
Speaking as someone who owns 90+% of Franke's solo work (including soundtracks), I believe that virtually ALL of the soundtracks will be long forgotten in less than a generation. Unlike that of his TD career. That to me is a wasted career.
It depends how you look at his career. He did his part in creating the musical legacy of TD for 18 years and then went on to create a widely copied style of music scoring. Most composers wouldnt even dream of being able to say that on their death bed.

Not all of his scores are great, and not all will be remembered, but consider the greats like Morricone, how many scores of his will be forgotten in a generation ? how many of the people who rave about "The Mission" or "Cinema Paradiso" actually know about his more innovative early Italian Scores ?
Soundtracks are mostly just that , rarely remembered outside the film, and usually die with it, especially TV film soundtracks.

His scoring career may have been wasted if he hadnt got any commissions
but in fact he did lots, earnt his money, has a big house in the Hollywood Hills because of it (I believe it used to be Vincent Pryce's house) has a scoring CV to turn most composers green with envy (how many of the countless media composers get to write for a hugely successful sci-fi series alone???) , and also created a style that was/and still is copied today around the world on countless Documentaries/Tv Films etc again ..how many composers get to say their style has been copied everywhere ???

Its wasted in your view (and the few quotes you listed from the "Vast(?) Majority), because you would rather he had done some more of what you like, so you miss the important parts of what he has done to make his scoring career very successful.

A career in soundtracks is not all about creating something that will live on outside the film for an eternity. Read what Edgar says about writing for film, its all about leaving the ego behind and writing what the scene needs rather than what you think people might like in 20 years time.

Very few people are ever part of creating a music world legend like TD, its impossible to compare the two careers side by side.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

bm agrees with thepost above.....well said

im off to listen to sorceror :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I'm listening to Destination Berlin on CD :D 8)

:!: :arrow:
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I'm listening to Destination Berlin on CD :D 8)

:!: :arrow:
I listened to that this weekend. Never understood why people hate that album so much. To me DB has a nice Haslinger feel to it.