was it Phaedra or Atem

Poll ended at Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:16 pm

Pheadra
94%
Atem
6%

Total votes: 18

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:Checkout Rate your music...and see how far up these records are:

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/tangerine_dream

Yet again some of these ratings are enough to make a cat laugh :roll:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
tangmaster

Post by tangmaster »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:Checkout Rate your music...and see how far up these records are:

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/tangerine_dream

Yet again some of these ratings are enough to make a cat laugh :roll:
My dog won't watch it, by the way what was the topic question, do i mis something...................... :?:
The way a world of dreams is going on!
24db

Re: What made them wellknown worldwide

Post by 24db »

tangmaster wrote:For me the most important historical moments for TD (and not saying they were the best albums ever) are Atem and Phaedra, both albums did made the history of TD. All before and after those two releases made them even bigger. Every musical point has a start of getting big.
A rather good advertising campaign (from Virgin) helped as well:

DSJR

Post by DSJR »

tangmaster wrote:For me the most important historical moments for TD (and not saying they were the best albums ever) are Atem and Phaedra, both albums did made the history of TD. All before and after those two releases made them even bigger. Every musical point has a start of getting big.
In a cack handed way, it was John Peel who "made" TD. As I understand it, it was JP's support of Atem that got Virgin interested. The advance the band were given helped to finance the new big instruments and the rest is history...

I've said it before, but I'd have been hooked if I'd heard Atem first. Phaedra is just something else entirely though and owes so much to the "tactile" quality of the instruments used, hence the variable tuning - the sequences evolved and "breathed" as CF brought them into line, something that was completely forgotten in Phaedra 2005, along with the sequencer notes and main lead (the version on TD Plays TD shows this up even more!)............

P.S. Perhaps Sequent c, played with a real flute plus long delay, could be a good final piece to a concert. How about it Linda?
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:
In a cack handed way, it was John Peel who "made" TD. As I understand it, it was JP's support of Atem that got Virgin interested. The advance the band were given helped to finance the new big instruments and the rest is history...
Well John made them anyway, with a little help from Virgin, Capital Radio, Radio London et al
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:

I've said it before, but I'd have been hooked if I'd heard Atem first. Phaedra is just something else entirely though and owes so much to the "tactile" quality of the instruments used, hence the variable tuning - the sequences evolved and "breathed" as CF brought them into line, something that was completely forgotten in Phaedra 2005, along with the sequencer notes and main lead (the version on TD Plays TD shows this up even more!)............

P.S. Perhaps Sequent c, played with a real flute plus long delay, could be a good final piece to a concert. How about it Linda?
Btw Simon Draper (from Virgin) said they sold 15,000 import records from OHR
Rico

Post by Rico »

Well, officialy Phaedra's the hit they've had, musically Phaedra was the imperious music of both the experimental spledism and the electronic impressively composed transit.

I don't think Atem's a bad album, but for me it's the zenith of the Pink Years, plus it was made in a less approachable "period".

perhaps I'm not talking here out of the history argument, but out of the music one. Phaedra's a masterpiece, Phaedra influenced a lot in the electronic movement, Phaedra's set things bit differently than many things we're spoken till or right then...
Last edited by Rico on Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rico

Post by Rico »

24db wrote:

that was my avatar on the old forum. I love that pic. :o :o
24db

Post by 24db »

Rico wrote:
24db wrote:

One of about 6 variations of the same design
Rico

Post by Rico »

24db wrote:
Rico wrote:
24db wrote: A rather good advertising campaign (from Virgin) helped as well:

One of about 6 variations of the same design
now that I'm watching second time, that is something else than what I had. only the melting disk is the emblem.
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:

"I have been introducing Top Gear for 6 years now and during that time we have had sessions from Cream, The Who and Hendrix. We were the first to broadcast Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Family, the Fairports and King Crimson among others. Yet we have had more mail about Tangerine Dream than any other group. That must mean something".
JOHN PEEL
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
DSJR wrote:

"I have been introducing Top Gear for 6 years now and during that time we have had sessions from Cream, The Who and Hendrix. We were the first to broadcast Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Family, the Fairports and King Crimson among others. Yet we have had more mail about Tangerine Dream than any other group. That must mean something".
JOHN PEEL
It means TD are the "Greatest of All Time" :!:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
timer

Post by timer »

ALthough it would appear that Atem /Phaedra was where it all started in the uk, Isn't it really down to the buying public that TD hit it off!?
ALthough it has been expressed by Edgar tha he doesn't give in to public demand when releasing material, surely it wouldn't have lasted this long if the public interest wasn't there to keep it going?
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:ALthough it would appear that Atem /Phaedra was where it all started in the uk, Isn't it really down to the buying public that TD hit it off!?
ALthough it has been expressed by Edgar tha he doesn't give in to public demand when releasing material, surely it wouldn't have lasted this long if the public interest wasn't there to keep it going?
Without that first kick-start from John Peel and Virgin mail order then TD would never have made it so big, so quickly. Afterall how would you get to hear about them if the only records were on imports and nobody was importing them. Edgar always mentioned his and TD's big debt to John Peel. The whole band were flabberghasted how quickly their career took off, and the number of records they sold. If they had just relied on OHR records contract then chances are they would have made enough money to live (It's not widely known that TD had to have day jobs until the early 70's just to keep going)
24db

Post by 24db »

I'll go out on a limb, if they had stayed on OHR they would have risked finacial suicide and might have faced the same sad fate as Rolf-Ulrich Kaiser