Steelyman
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Steelyman »

Hi,
I just joined the forum today and thought I'd say hello.
The first TD record I bought was Sorcerer back in 1977 I think, I'd seen it being promoted in the window of the old HMV store in Nottingham and even though I'd never heard of Tangerine Dream I was intrigued enough by the cover to purchase the album, I'd be around 13 years old at the time.
I got the album home and on playing it was really disappointed and a little unnerved! At that time I was mostly listening to the pop music of the time and just didn't get what TD were about. I lent the album to my dad, he had a much better hi fi than me and after playing the album a few times when visiting him it started to grow on me. Anyway, to cut a long story short I have now been a TD fan for many years, I was even lucky enough to see them perform live in Nottingham in 1989 I think.
I have to say I do prefer the material they released in the 70's, Force Majeure and Logos being particular favourites.
One question, and I really don't mean this to sound chauvinistic, are many females into TD ? I have yet to meet one, then again when people ask what type of music you like and you mention Tangerine Dream the usual respones is "Who?"
Hoping to engage in conversation with other TD fans,
Adrian
"I cried when I when I wrote this song, sue me if I play too long" Steely Dan
Pertou

Re: Newbie

Post by Pertou »

Steelyman wrote:One question, and I really don't mean this to sound chauvinistic, are many females into TD ?
No, it's the other way around. :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:
As for the girls, it is strange they don't fall in love with TD. TD's newer stuff is quite sensual. As Edgar suggest in a (not so) recent interview, that females are attracted by vocals, and TD had that in mind, when they recorded Madcap's Flaming Duty - a must-have, by the way.

Welcome, steelyman. It's always good fun to read about how 'old' fans discovered TD in the seventies, it's always some really good story.
Not for me. I had basically read all my rock encyclopedias from A-Z, and the band that I knew I loved, before having heard their music, was Tangerine Dream.
I found this album, called Rubycon, in an original Virgin pressing, for approximately 4 £. After dropping the needle onto the vinyl, a whole new side of music was revealed to me. That was in late 2002.
When the deep sequencing and backward piano chords unfolded, I was completely mesmerized.
I remember once in the middle of the night I simply HAD TO play this incredible piece of 70's proto-techno to one of my friends - on his answering machine!

TD mania has rapidly increased, and I do have a lot of fun with the forums.
We are good people. I look forward to some more of your posts!
Last edited by Pertou on Sat May 12, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
timer

Post by timer »

Welcome Steelyman,

Women and TD - My partner (DOLPIN DANCE on the forum) has clicked with the TD experience since being lent a fistfull of CDs in the early 90's, She is now just as mad about them as I am. So yes there are female TD fans.
trane

Post by trane »

hey, steelyman, welcome on the board :D
right, it's really a fun to read about meeting td the first time. my story is as follows: some time in the late '70s i heard a comparatively strange music, something that sounded to be classical but the instruments used were for sure not used in orchestras. it was the synthesisers cared after by mr. rick wakeman of yes. the special sounds coming from the moogs and organs he played on grew on me and i got stuck in these voices so much that i wanted to know more music with sythesisers used in. it was not easy for i lived (and am still living) in hungary, behind the curtain, but scarce information was still available from secret foreign magazines. in them i saw photos of groups having walls of sythesisers, with krafwerk and td among, but i understodd nothing of the words for them being english. language problems aside, since there were people in the balckmarket grabbing money from smuggling foreign and, thus, forbidden lps (at the time) to lp-stores, i finally got my first td-album, which was the exit in 1982 or 83. after that td really grewn on me, and all my pocket money i had was spent on td, klaus schulze, tomita, kraftwerk, vangelis, jarre, and, of course, wakeman lps. just to give you an impression of the time, then a yugoslavian printed td-album cost one tenth of a month's salary... as the years passed by, i could buy all td-albums in german and uk-print with much better sound quality, and now i am quite a proud owner of the aforementioned musicians/groups' albums, those causing me several hundreds of true enjoyment... so, something like this has been the td-story of mine, and thanx, steelyman, for your initiative, it was good to revive my memories :)
save the trees, eat beavers :-D
trane

Post by trane »

sorry, to correct myself, instead of "several hundreds of true enjoyment" please read it as "several hundred hours of true enjoyment"
save the trees, eat beavers :-D
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Welcome to the forum Steelyman. I've been a fan since I first clapped eyes on the Phaedra cover, back in '74. Female fans are few and far between on the forum, but as Tim has mentioned there are one or two discerning females amongst our ranks. I hope you enjoy the forum.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Steelyman

Post by Steelyman »

Hi Pertou, Timer and Trane, thanks for responding to my message.
Your English is very good Pertou, certainly better than my Hungarian!
I think many people fail to realise just how difficult it was living under the communist regime. We take so much for granted in the democratic countries, I can't imagine being denied access to the music of my choice.
You mention Rick Wakeman, I got the album he did a couple of years ago called Retro on which he used many early synthesisers, it's worth a listen.

Other favourite artists/bands are Jean Michel Jarre- I've seen him perform live on three occasions and was in heaven each time. I also love Mike Oldfield, the dvd of his Exposed concerts in 1977 is worth getting although it is showing it's age a bit!

Glad to hear there are some ladies who enjoy TD, I think a person's taste in music says an awful lot about them and I would put us TD fans at the top of the pile when it comes to sophisticaton and intelligence!
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:Welcome to the forum Steelyman. I've been a fan since I first clapped eyes on the Phaedra cover, back in '74. Female fans are few and far between on the forum, but as Tim has mentioned there are one or two discerning females amongst our ranks. I hope you enjoy the forum.
the most vocal fan at the recent gig was female and under (at a guess) 22!

btw welcome to the forum mate!

andy
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:Welcome to the forum Steelyman. I've been a fan since I first clapped eyes on the Phaedra cover, back in '74. Female fans are few and far between on the forum, but as Tim has mentioned there are one or two discerning females amongst our ranks. I hope you enjoy the forum.
the most vocal fan at the recent gig was female and under (at a guess) 22!

btw welcome to the forum mate!

andy
At the first Jeanne d'Arc concert in Berlin in 2005, two very young (and good looking) girls sat in row in front of me, and seemed really to enjoy the concert.

I rembember telling my mother's little sister that I liked a band called Tangerine Dream and Rubycon was my only album still. It seemed to be one of her favourite bands in her teens, and she found a basket full of interesting cassettes, that she wanted me to borrow. I forgot about them the next day, when I was heading home, but I have got the albums now, so nevermind.
24db

Post by 24db »

Here's she is in 1976! ;)

Quite a few women like TD, and some even like the very early stuff
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

My mother likes the newer TD. :D
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hi Steelyman.
I've known a few female TD fans in my time. One of the girls I went to college with was really in to them. Bless her, I remember really clearly the day she came rushing up to me and said "I've discovered this amazing band called Stratosfear, they've done this incredible album called Tangerine Dream". One of the women I used to work with in the Midlands was also into them. I also spoke to a very nice young girl at the Birmingham Symphony Hall in 1997 who had an incredible knowledge about the band, put me to shame. My wife also quite likes them in a very grudging way.
Steelyman

Post by Steelyman »

Thanks all for the warm welcome, it's always good to be among like-minded people.
The other classic response when you tell folks you like Tangerine Dream is "Oh, what do they sing?" LOL
Anyone else like Philip Glass, I got Koyaanisqatsi a couple of months back and was instantly taken with it.
24db

Post by 24db »

Steelyman wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome, it's always good to be among like-minded people.
The other classic response when you tell folks you like Tangerine Dream is "Oh, what do they sing?" LOL
Anyone else like Philip Glass, I got Koyaanisqatsi a couple of months back and was instantly taken with it.
On DVD? or on CD, did you know there's two versions of the soundtrack, the later one has been completely re-recorded. I love some of Glass's music and some just leaves me cold, but Koyaanisqatsi (the film and soundtrack) is just stunning
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Steelyman wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome, it's always good to be among like-minded people.
On DVD? or on CD, did you know there's two versions of the soundtrack, the later one has been completely re-recorded. I love some of Glass's music and some just leaves me cold, but Koyaanisqatsi (the film and soundtrack) is just stunning
Ditto that Andy. A beautiful piece of work (film and music).
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese