Tangerine Dream on BBC 4 TV in October

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:If it gets good reviews from the fans around here I`ll probably watch it but knowing how the BBC do these type of music documentaries it will probably be cack.
From what I've seen most BBC music docs are rather good, even if I don't like the music (Hawkwind & the Who spring to mind)...UNLESS...they go for the 'comic' voice over treatment ("ho, Ho, those Krazy Krautrockers!!!"...let's shoe horn in every cliche and stereotype in the book, with some wacky visuals...dear god, wake me up when it's over!)...and then by and large they're utter (round objects) of the highest order. You either talk about music seriously or you can bugger off and write some sub-par sit com IMHO. I think some people at the Beeb try to save money and/or confuse the two, with the result that they keep nobody happy, which considering how much TV programmes cost these days is no mean feat.

Anyway...from what I've heard (so far) it's a pretty serious doc on German Music...and if I'm wrong, well when was the last time TD was featured on TV?...1997 or earlier? hardly an every day event ;) Judging by recent events and in all seriousness let's make the most of it
timer

Post by timer »

Ive always been pretty impressed with BBC music documentaries, certainly the one's on BBC3 have been entertaining. The usual problem exists though - we as fans know what we would like from an interview / coverage , but this is not necessarily how a program producer / interviewer with basic background knowledge of the band would see it.

I say give it a chance - we never know , could be fabulous. 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:Ive always been pretty impressed with BBC music documentaries, certainly the one's on BBC3 have been entertaining. The usual problem exists though - we as fans know what we would like from an interview / coverage , but this is not necessarily how a program producer / interviewer with basic background knowledge of the band would see it.

well, they've got a good interview with Edgar in the Bag...depends how much or little they want to use of it (and please god, don't let it be another celebrity matey affair where some Z grade soap opera actor pretends to like Kraftwerk and listened to them from the start, even though they only about 12). The celebrity route adds 'nothing' to a programme, half the time they can't even remember the titles of the albums...who gives a monkeys if XYZ likes the music? talk about the music and (if you have to) the Socio/political environment that created it. The recent DVD doc on Kraftwerk being a good example of how to cover the 'whole scene', although strangely enough being quite weak on Kraftwerk themselves. Hardly that surprising since they didn't interiew either Ralf or Florian. It's a bit like doing a doc on TD and then only interviewing Paul Haslinger for the whole history

Off on Tangent, I'm always dismayed that even Radio 2, (who seem produce half hour docs on, well, basically anybody), can't pull their collective finger out and do something on German music or especially TD. I would have thought it would be fairly cheap. Plus and it galls me even more (god I'm angry today ;) :D) the Beeb (the Brontosaurus of all companies) have missed the peak interest in Krautrock in the UK by a decade or more. It's like waiting until 1986 to cover Punk...too little, too late.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Actually I retract my comments I was in a shitty mood last night. anything will be worth watching. The BBC have actually done a good documentary on Pink Floyd DSOTM. had some actual footage of them recording it. Really enjoyed that one. And there was another pretty good one as well. Actually if any channel had to do it the BBC will probably be the best.
tdream4ever

Re: Tangerine Dream on BBC 4 TV in October

Post by tdream4ever »

24db wrote:http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... -beeb.html

this is a one hour documentary on West German Music (that's Krautrock to you!)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :arrow: :cry:
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

timer wrote:Ive always been pretty impressed with BBC music documentaries, certainly the one's on BBC3 have been entertaining. The usual problem exists though - we as fans know what we would like from an interview / coverage , but this is not necessarily how a program producer / interviewer with basic background knowledge of the band would see it.

Totally agree Tim.

My only complaint about the BBC's music documentaries is that they seldom cover bands I really like.
har

Post by har »

Must remember about this !

Should be good.

Cheers for posting that.
24db

Post by 24db »

har wrote:Must remember about this !

Should be good.

Cheers for posting that.
no problem....hopefully it'll be at least watchable, if not for TD fans than at least for the other artists featured
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I'd love a South Bank Show type show on TD
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

alipaul wrote:I'd love a South Bank Show type show on TD
Well sadly the SBS has just been pulled :( But I totally agree Daz. I've always wanted them to cover TD or electronic music...but now it's too late. They did a woeful one in the 80's, totally overlooked the whole German side, just concentrating on people like Tim Souster (not that a programme shouldn't, however it was just a missed chance and to cover EM and not even mention KS, Kraftwerk and TD is crazy IMHO). The SBS did an excellent programme of Weather Report...an exact blueprint for how they could have done a programme on TD. The History, intercut with live music and a few interviews. In fact you don't need to do much, it practically tells it's own story. But...EM is overlooked and sadly that's how it remains
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I miss programmes like SBS & Arena the Imagine program with Alan Yentob are generally quite good did a fantastic 2 parter on the History of he guitar
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

alipaul wrote:I miss programmes like SBS & Arena the Imagine program with Alan Yentob are generally quite good did a fantastic 2 parter on the History of he guitar
Have you heard the rumour that TD live at Coventry Cathedral was originally being filmed for 50 minute Omnibus special, but it got scrapped after the beeb lost the live audio?

There's been some fantastic Arena programmes, and how could not like it with Brian Eno's music used as the theme tune
har

Post by har »

Would have been great to see TD on the South Bank Show.

Remember, many moons ago, they did a feature on Peter Gabriel, must have been about 1982/3 as it was about PG4 I think.

Brilliant interview and program, still remember it to this day. Magnificent album PG4.

Looking forward to this Beeb documentary.
24db

Post by 24db »

har wrote:Would have been great to see TD on the South Bank Show.

Remember, many moons ago, they did a feature on Peter Gabriel, must have been about 1982/3 as it was about PG4 I think.

Brilliant program, still remember it to this day. Magnificent album PG4.

Remember it well, with Peter with the CMI Fairlight sampling a paving slab (back in the day when Sampling was still exciting).
From memory I think Larry Fast might have been in it as well...but I'm guessing :)
har

Post by har »

24db wrote:
har wrote:Would have been great to see TD on the South Bank Show.

Brilliant program, still remember it to this day. Magnificent album PG4.

Remember it well, with Peter with the CMI Fairlight sampling a paving slab (back in the day when Sampling was still exciting).
From memory I think Larry Fast might have been in it as well...but I'm guessing :)
Thats the one.........and sampling wind blowing across drainage pipes found on waste ground or something. You can hear a lot of that stuff on the album I think. Gonna check it out again today 8)