Chris Franke's role in the 80s

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:Where's the great sequencing and percussion from Chris after he left? after all he took the entire studio, and $1,000,000's of equipment with him.
I've never seen it in print but I've long suspected that Edgar paid a very high price to keep the name of Tangerine Dream.
Hmmm Edgar would have to pay money to keep the name of the band he formed? I can't see it Chris...perhaps you could break it to him ;)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:Where's the great sequencing and percussion from Chris after he left? after all he took the entire studio, and $1,000,000's of equipment with him.
I've never seen it in print but I've long suspected that Edgar paid a very high price to keep the name of Tangerine Dream.
Hmmm Edgar would have to pay money to keep the name of the band he formed? I can't see it Chris...perhaps you could break it to him ;)
Yep.

Sorry about that Andy.

I was talking (writing) figuratively rather than literally.

CF seemed to do rather well out of the split.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: I've never seen it in print but I've long suspected that Edgar paid a very high price to keep the name of Tangerine Dream.
Yep.

Sorry about that Andy.

d'oh...sorry Chris :)

Ah there's always a story about Chris...and sadly I'm not gonna type it here, incase I get sued.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote: Hmmm Edgar would have to pay money to keep the name of the band he formed? I can't see it Chris...perhaps you could break it to him ;)
Yep.

Sorry about that Andy.

Ah there's always a story about Chris...and sadly I'm not gonna type it here, incase I get sued.
Andy, you've got to stop apologising for my inability to communicate properly. :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: Yep.

Sorry about that Andy.

Andy, you've got to stop apologising for my inability to communicate properly. :wink:
Bollox!

;)
24db

Post by 24db »

Ah...isn't that nice, Edgar and Peter joined Chris to form Tangerine Dream..who writes this stuff?

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/franke.htm
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

24db wrote:Ah...isn't that nice, Edgar and Peter joined Chris to form Tangerine Dream..who writes this stuff?

Oh dear! Did he really form the Berlin School of Electronic Music too? I thought he had been a Jazz drummer in Agitation Free (among others)....
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:
24db wrote:Ah...isn't that nice, Edgar and Peter joined Chris to form Tangerine Dream..who writes this stuff?

Oh dear! Did he really form the Berlin School of Electronic Music too? I thought he had been a Jazz drummer in Agitation Free (among others)....
Well from memory I think it might have been his mother who stumped up enough money for Thomas Kessler to set up the studio, it was there that it got the name.
Last edited by 24db on Mon May 25, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:

Well from memory I think it might have been his mother who stumped up enough money for Thomas Kessler to set up the studio, it was there that it go the name
I'm sure you're right Andy. I've seen it stated several times that he was "instrumental" in setting up the Berlin School.
Hipgnosis

Re: Chris Franke's role in the 80s

Post by Hipgnosis »

Peter Beasley wrote:Browsing through some of the old threads, I came across epsilon 75’s interesting post (‘Tangerine Dream Tour Year 1986’ in ‘Performances’) that Chris Franke did not do the sequencing on Logos, Thief and Poland.

If the sequencing on these albums is not Chris's work, then the sequencing on the 1980, 1981 and 1982 tours is also not his, as there is a vast cross over of material. ...
That is bizarre ... in most synthesizers the sequencing (at least these days) is done individually for "each pad" or "instrument" ... and I doubt that someone would feed all three musicians and it would be sequenced yet again ... I think the ability to control that piece of music would get really difficult ... and more than likely frustrating ... and I can say that I have not heard TD ever lose track of themselves at all. ... although I do think that madmen are usually capable of thinking the strangest things ... !!! ... the proverbial magic theater!

Unless one thinks that "sequencer" means the dumming part of things ... which is kinda weird ... sequencing was originally designed to help carry sounds and extend them not to simply repeat them. And slightly later synths and various tools learned to bend these even further.

I can take, for example, the Jupiter v8 and record 10 different trax, and I can sequence each one separatly to enrich the sound some ... but once I have it all done, I'm not sure that I would want to sequence things yet again and lose the original qualities of various sounds and playing.

Am I not seeing this right? Or I need to go back to my DAW?
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:
24db wrote:btw as a side note, when Chris Franke played on Mark Shreeve's Legion album...Mark did all the sequencing and Chris played the melody line as well as some TD-like Effects.
Andy, This I know well as I knew Mark Shreeve at the time and he gave me a pre-release tape of Legion.

Still leaves us with the question who did the sequencing on Logos, Thief and Poland.
Steve Reich? er I'll get me coat ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

just checked Chris's role in the 80's....cheese apparently, with some pickles on top!

:D :D
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

And do not forget: Chris has also created a huge sample library and mixed productions.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:just checked Chris's role in the 80's....cheese apparently, with some pickles on top!

:D :D
:lol:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.