Risky Business Soundtrack

A Hyperborean
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Risky Business Soundtrack

Post by A Hyperborean »

I recently bought the 25th Aniversary edition of the film Risky Business on Blu-Ray disc. On it is a documentary about the making of the film and the director Paul Brickman was very complimentary about Tangerine Dream saying how well the music enhanced the film and drew you into the story. He commented on how TD were at the cutting edge of music technology in the early 80s and that they were very helpful when he went to Berlin to develop the soundtrack. I was really pleased to hear TD get this well deserved credit for one of their best soundtracks. Although the film has a comedy element to it, it uses the music wonderfully, especially 'Love On A Real Train'. I can recommend the disc if you can find it.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
24db

Re: Risky Business Soundtrack

Post by 24db »

A Hyperborean wrote:I recently bought the 25th Aniversary edition of the film Risky Business on Blu-Ray disc. On it is a documentary about the making of the film and the director Paul Brickman was very complimentary about Tangerine Dream saying how well the music enhanced the film and drew you into the story. He commented on how TD were at the cutting edge of music technology in the early 80s and that they were very helpful when he went to Berlin to develop the soundtrack. I was really pleased to hear TD get this well deserved credit for one of their best soundtracks. Although the film has a comedy element to it, it uses the music wonderfully, especially 'Love On A Real Train'. I can recommend the disc if you can find it.
I see Asda are flogging this for the princey sum of £5
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I thought that the director wasn't too happy with the original soundtrack work TD did for Risky Business and that the music that finally appeared in the film was a "quick fix", done almost as the director was leaving the studio.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

I would hazard a guess that it was the studio that might have been unhappy with the TD music, rather than the director. They probably said something to the effect of "How in the hell are we going to soundtrack records with nothing but that electronic cr@p on it!? Where are the pop tunes?"

Guess which tracks people are still buying the soundtrack for after all these years?
exit81

Post by exit81 »

I too seem to remember something about the director only receiving the tapes within an hour or so of flying out of Germany. I think the stuff TD had done wasn't quite what he wanted, so they rustled up something else late on. If it was a race against time, this might explain the recycling of previously used music.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I have the cd and vinyl so decided to dust of the vinyl earlier can't find the bugger.The TD tracks on ther are OK but the rest... :roll:
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Great soundtrack and good movie, if you like it I suggest watching The Girl Next Door which pays homage to RB or rips it off if you prefer that way of putting it. Paul Haslinger does the music and again it pays homage 8)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Let's hope Edgar's book will enlighten us.
A Hyperborean

Whatever

Post by A Hyperborean »

exit81 wrote:I too seem to remember something about the director only receiving the tapes within an hour or so of flying out of Germany. I think the stuff TD had done wasn't quite what he wanted, so they rustled up something else late on. If it was a race against time, this might explain the recycling of previously used music.
:?
I'm only quoting what the director said on the documentary, it seemed pretty genuine to me and they even show a photo of the Berlin studio with CF, EF and JS smiling with the director. Yes, the music does use some of the Exit-like themes, but a lot of TD stuff is 'recycled' (your phrase not mine) in films. The £5 Asda disc probably isn't the Blu-Ray anniversay one.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
24db

Re: Whatever

Post by 24db »

A Hyperborean wrote: The £5 Asda disc probably isn't the Blu-Ray anniversay one.
never said it was :)
Jon

Post by Jon »

I would have loved to see Paul Brickman return to TD for his second film MEN DON'T LEAVE from 1990. Instead, Thomas Newman delivered a very nice synth-based score.
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

cantosis wrote:Great soundtrack and good movie, if you like it I suggest watching The Girl Next Door which pays homage to RB or rips it off if you prefer that way of putting it. Paul Haslinger does the music and again it pays homage 8)
I watched that on BBC4 last week and it is a complete homage/ rip off of RB, so much so there's actually a cover of Love On A Real Train at one point.

It is fun though and I didn't realise Paul Haslinger did the music.
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

BBC2 23:40 UK time saturday june 20th. (00:40 CET) (UTC time 22:40)
Broadcast of movie Risky Bussiness.

grtz, Peter
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

pb2rdf wrote:BBC2 23:40 UK time saturday june 20th. (00:40 CET) (UTC time 22:40)
Broadcast of movie Risky Bussiness.

grtz, Peter

Even though I have the DVD I`ll probably watch it with a couple of beers and see in fathers day in style :shock: :D :arrow:
ant

Post by ant »

:D I bought this on Blu-Ray but even with my many machine updates it will not play the documentary properly. I get the picture-in-picture but no sound. I therefore had to buy it on DVD so that I could listen to it just as a audio commentary. :(
Biggus Dickus