Chris Franke's role in the 80s

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
no idea, I aint nostradamus :D
you're not? now you tell me :shock:

more like russell grant when I was fatter.... :oops:
more Micro Moog these days :)
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote: you're not? now you tell me :shock:

Little Fatty more like :wink:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:

you mean little phatty
...The wise.....are silent.....
timer

Post by timer »

bigmoog wrote:
timer wrote:
24db wrote: more Micro Moog these days :)

you mean little phatty
If you say so Phatty ! :lol:
andeemac2006

Post by andeemac2006 »

Hey I started this thread years ago
I said then " If Franke didnt do the sequencing for logos Poland and Underwater sunlight , then why after 1989 did Tangerine Dream,s Drum Rhythm arrangement sequencing nosedive for YEARS
Even today good as the new band is, they just dont have the Originality in the Drum Machine Programming Listen to the whole 86 tour live tracks his Programming is amazing you dont get Drum Machine Programming like this any more on TD cd's
Listen to Underwater Sunlight you dont get anything like the Drum Machine Programming on that CD as well,/// in fact in the 90's all we got was almost Pre set Drum Rhythms.
I cannot believe that Edgar chose to not have sequencing like Logos Poland and Underwater sunlight anymore after Franke left

I think this might be why Franke left nobody would give him credit, I know Ian Boddy and he told me that while he was doing Marke Shreve's album
Franke could syncopate the slapback on the Digital Delay by calculating from the Music Notation, IE not listening to the affect on the moniters !!
no mean feat.
The sad thing from my Point of view is that Schmolling Frose and Franke could reform and undoubtedly produce amazing music again
If Cream can anyone can

PS: Robert Schroeders new CD Taste It is amazing
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

andeemac2006 wrote:Hey I started this thread years ago
I said then " If Franke didnt do the sequencing for logos Poland and Underwater sunlight , then why after 1989 did Tangerine Dream,s Drum Rhythm arrangement sequencing nosedive for YEARS
Even today good as the new band is, they just dont have the Originality in the Drum Machine Programming Listen to the whole 86 tour live tracks his Programming is amazing you dont get Drum Machine Programming like this any more on TD cd's
Listen to Underwater Sunlight you dont get anything like the Drum Machine Programming on that CD as well,/// in fact in the 90's all we got was almost Pre set Drum Rhythms.
I cannot believe that Edgar chose to not have sequencing like Logos Poland and Underwater sunlight anymore after Franke left

I think this might be why Franke left nobody would give him credit, I know Ian Boddy and he told me that while he was doing Marke Shreve's album
Franke could syncopate the slapback on the Digital Delay by calculating from the Music Notation, IE not listening to the affect on the moniters !!
no mean feat.
The sad thing from my Point of view is that Schmolling Frose and Franke could reform and undoubtedly produce amazing music again
If Cream can anyone can

We can all dream I dream of winning the lottery but it aint gonna happen
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

Where's the great sequencing and percussion from Chris after he left? after all he took the entire studio, and $1,000,000's of equipment with him. If some people are disappointed in TD after 1987 you can only imagine what I think of somebody who left 'cos TD weren't on the cutting edge of EM anymore' only to go on to work on Big Brother and Super Nanny et al, on an endless treadmill, producing solid but tear inducing Hollywood fodder, my opnion only, I'm sure other people quite like it ,afterall Chris is a talented guy, no disrespect to him personally or whatever he does 'for a living' these days. But in most of the stuff I've heard from him over the last 20 years I don't hear an iota of that magic, imagination & invention.
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:Where's the great sequencing and percussion from Chris after he left? after all he took the entire studio, and $1,000,000's of equipment with him. If some people are disappointed in TD after 1987 you can only imagine what I think of somebody who left 'cos TD weren't on the cutting edge of EM anymore' only to go on to work on Big Brother and Super Nanny et al, on an endless treadmill, producing solid but tear inducing Hollywood fodder, my opnion only, I'm sure other people quite like it ,afterall Chris is a talented guy, no disrespect to him personally or whatever he does 'for a living' these days. But in most of the stuff I've heard from him over the last 20 years I don't hear an iota of that magic, imagination & invention.
100% agreed Andy.

But it could be down to our own expectations of what CF should have been doing , and obviously there isn't as rewarding a market doing what we'd like to hear him do , rather than what he does.

The mans got to have talent , as we know Edgar doesn't work with any old guy off the street.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

andeemac2006 wrote:Hey I started this thread years ago

no mean feat.
If Cream can anyone can

The evidence you point to is entirely credible, but also circumstantial in my opinion. At the same time Chris left the band, they started using Steinberg software and Atari computers. I think this is the main reason the sequencing and rhythm patterns changed and less to do with the personnel.

Simply listening to Edgar's and Chris's solo output should confirm this. As Andy points out above, where are the driving sequences on his post TD output? On the other hand, listen to Edgar's solo albums and you find TD sequencing in abundance, even very recently with albums like Dalinetopia.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

btw before we all get carried away here, I don't want to people to think that I'm trying to lessen what Chris did in TD, no airbrushing of history, although (and it pains me) I can certainly see why some of his comments have ****ed Edgar off over the years. If anything (and putting aside some recent comments) if anything it was Chris who attempted (perhaps not even consciously) to marginalize Edgar's contribution in TD. Personally (and all my comments are just opinion...not facts) I find all these discussions about who did what, interesting but in the end add nothing to my enjoyment of TD's music or massive musical legacy.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:btw before we all get carried away here, I don't want to people to think that I'm trying to lessen what Chris did in TD, no airbrushing of history, although (and it pains me) I can certainly see why some of his comments have ****ed Edgar off over the years. If anything (and putting aside some recent comments) if anything it was Chris who attempted (perhaps not even consciously) to marginalize Edgar's contribution in TD. Personally (and all my comments are just opinion...not facts) I find all these discussions about who did what, interesting but in the end add nothing to my enjoyment of TD's music or massive musical legacy.
Enough said :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:Where's the great sequencing and percussion from Chris after he left? after all he took the entire studio, and $1,000,000's of equipment with him.
I've never seen it in print but I've long suspected that Edgar paid a very high price to keep the name of Tangerine Dream.

I personally don't think that all of the killer TD sequencing left with CF, there's been plenty since, but have to say it's not as up-front as it used to be. In CF's defence it's clear that he did have a talent for writing some great stuff. It's a shame things finished the way they did.
Helikon

Sequencing in the 80s

Post by Helikon »

Up until Le Parc when the first Steinberg software program were used,
I think that the three sequencer systems used by EF JS and CF were
synced together.

You could compose/improvise in a certain tempo and thus interact with either member.

My tip: group effort.

Although I find JS influence during the 80s huge. :wink:

Cheers!
There is poetry in science
24db

Post by 24db »

andeemac2006 wrote:Franke could syncopate the slapback on the Digital Delay by calculating from the Music Notation, IE not listening to the affect on the moniters !!
no mean feat.
actually that is fairly simple maths...most old studio engineers could do it. Respect to Chris for doing it in his head though

older enginners could do it like this:

Time the length of 4 bars and then divide that time by 64, should give you the millisecond delay for 16th notes
Last edited by 24db on Sun May 17, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Re: Sequencing in the 80s

Post by 24db »

Helikon wrote:Up until Le Parc when the first Steinberg software program were used,
I think that the three sequencer systems used by EF JS and CF were
synced together.

You could compose/improvise in a certain tempo and thus interact with either member.
live yes....although the Helmut Grothe sequencers only worked 70% of the time