Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on History
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Edgar's funeral
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 am
Posts: 2015
Location: staying home getting stiff
Can anyone leave a greater memorial than the life they lead? Could there be a better memorial than the music EF left? Slowly, it is sinking in.

_________________
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Edgar's funeral
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 am
Posts: 292
Michael66 wrote:
If you believe that death is just a change of cosmic address, you don't leave a stone on this planet saying in one way or another: "This is where the story ends."


I'm speaking from experience, when I tell you that if there is a national interest in the government, it won't matter if Edgar's ashes are there or not, and a monument will be erected and paying the proper respects. This happened in my dad's case in Portugal. It had been, however, my mom's wishes to have him buried there, instead of nowhereville ... and that was remedied, but then she published more of his work after he died than he did in his own lifetime ... ohhh btw, this was 25 plus years later!!! ... so take heart ...

Jerome is probably going to find enough stuff in the closet for the next 15 or 20 years!

_________________
http://www.pedrosena.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Edgar's funeral
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
Hipgnosis wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
If you believe that death is just a change of cosmic address, you don't leave a stone on this planet saying in one way or another: "This is where the story ends."


I'm speaking from experience, when I tell you that if there is a national interest in the government, it won't matter if Edgar's ashes are there or not, and a monument will be erected and paying the proper respects. [...]


I don't know, but if it is someone's explicit wish to not get a gravestone or monument, and then some government comes along and does the exact opposite, I can't really see how that could be called paying the proper respects to the dead person ... to me that's exactly the opposite, it's disrespectful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Edgar's funeral
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1636
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
sorcerer wrote:
But an unmarked grave for such an important, influential man is sad.
(


I wholeheartedly agree. I really don't understand this choice at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Edgar's funeral
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 am
Posts: 98
Jon wrote:
sorcerer wrote:
But an unmarked grave for such an important, influential man is sad.
(


I wholeheartedly agree. I really don't understand this choice at all.


I do. It's a symbolism of not ever dying. Edgar Froese is more than just a physical body. He was for decades even before he himself was concerned with his own earthly demise. You can call it his legacy or whatever you will, but he built something here that stands on the basis of Eternity itself. Edgar may not physically exist anymore, but he still lives and he will live forever as long as we ourselves stand in our own feet in this world. How? By living his legacy and spreading it to the new generations and to the people who don't know anything about it. Our own descendants. That's also the way to pay the proper respects to his physical absence. And that's the beauty of it: We can't worry about it ever dying, because that will never happen. It's so powerful and so large (150+ albums and more than 40 years without the slightest possible pause) that it will never be forgotten.

As someone mentioned above: Edgar believed in changing the cosmic address. He seriously believed that and he was consistent with it all the way through. By getting to know more about the way he thought, it's easy and conforting to believe that he probably wasn't even afraid of dying physically. He accepted it as a natural course in life and I don't doubt he even smiled his usual joyful smile at the very thought of someday leaving this materialistic world. As the person above mentioned, he was not going to put a mark on some stone claiming "everything ended on date X" because nothing ever ended. Edgar is still as alive and fresh as he always was and he will always be intact. We should not be sad. We should be joyful and grateful. If we're more concerned with a stone and a place, then we should probably ask ourselves if we're true TD fans or not.

All this coming from a true atheist and "nihilist". Music is more powerful than any religion or human "philosophy" or "concept". WAY, way more!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Edgar's funeral
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1636
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
Donofrio_TD wrote:
Jon wrote:
sorcerer wrote:
But an unmarked grave for such an important, influential man is sad.
(


I wholeheartedly agree. I really don't understand this choice at all.


I do. It's a symbolism of not ever dying. Edgar Froese is more than just a physical body. He was for decades even before he himself was concerned with his own earthly demise. You can call it his legacy or whatever you will, but he built something here that stands on the basis of Eternity itself. Edgar may not physically exist anymore, but he still lives and he will live forever as long as we ourselves stand in our own feet in this world. How? By living his legacy and spreading it to the new generations and to the people who don't know anything about it. Our own descendants. That's also the way to pay the proper respects to his physical absence. And that's the beauty of it: We can't worry about it ever dying, because that will never happen. It's so powerful and so large (150+ albums and more than 40 years without the slightest possible pause) that it will never be forgotten.

As someone mentioned above: Edgar believed in changing the cosmic address. He seriously believed that and he was consistent with it all the way through. By getting to know more about the way he thought, it's easy and conforting to believe that he probably wasn't even afraid of dying physically. He accepted it as a natural course in life and I don't doubt he even smiled his usual joyful smile at the very thought of someday leaving this materialistic world. As the person above mentioned, he was not going to put a mark on some stone claiming "everything ended on date X" because nothing ever ended. Edgar is still as alive and fresh as he always was and he will always be intact. We should not be sad. We should be joyful and grateful. If we're more concerned with a stone and a place, then we should probably ask ourselves if we're true TD fans or not.

All this coming from a true atheist and "nihilist". Music is more powerful than any religion or human "philosophy" or "concept". WAY, way more!!!


Yes, you are clearly an atheist. I'm on a totally different place.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on History All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage